FORWARD OPERATING BASE FENTY, Afghanistan (Dec. 26, 2012) -- The Afghan National Army recently conducted a mission to resupply the Afghan Uniform Police at Chapah Darah by conducting a convoy operation from Nangalam Base, Dec. 26.

The resupply consisted mainly of sustenance items, petroleum products ammunition, as well as winter clothing for several months, were delivered to the 45 Afghan Uniform Police, or AUP, at Chapah Darah, according to Capt. Elliott Emerich, a native of Flower Mound, Texas, and the fires support officer and assistant plans officer for 2nd Battalion, 327th Infantry Regiment, 1st Brigade Combat Team, 101st Airborne Division (Air Assault).

Emerich said that aside from Afghan National Army, known as the ANA, and AUP, the Afghan Directorate of Security and other Afghan National Security Forces played a vital role in the success of the mission, which required only limited assistance from U.S. Soldiers from Security Forces Assistance and Advisory Team-6, or SFAAT-6, 1st Brigade Combat Team.

The command group of 2nd Bn., 327th Inf. Rgt. and SFAAT-6, along with several staff personnel, mortars and artillery from Forward Operating Base Joyce and Combat Outpost Honaker-Miracle stayed at Nangalam to support the mission's command and control elements.

"There were two elements to it," said Emerich. "The first element being about 13 vehicles, which consisted of the 2-201 ANA brigade's Route Clearance Company, or RCC. They were about 3 kilometers in front of the main element. The main element was about 25 plus ANA and about 45 vehicles."

Emerich said it's about 20 km to Chapah Darah, and following an RCC can take anywhere from half a day to a whole day to get there.

"They (ANA) secured the route along the way with their checkpoints," said Maj. Dean Scaletta, from Las Vegas, Nev., and the officer in charge for SFAAT-6. "(The) AUP came across with their trucks with all the resupply, and were able to resupply Chapah Darah within 24 hours.

"They stayed overnight to help re-secure the route and then they came back the following day," Scaletta added.

Emerich said that although flying the supplies in was possible, it was necessary for the ANA to drive out there so they can be self-sufficient and conduct their own missions after U.S. forces leave Afghanistan.

"This has been the first major ANA independent operation in Kunar, so it's good to see them move this great a distance to this dangerous of an area to resupply some of the security forces here in Afghanistan," said Emerich.

After the resupply was complete, the ANA and SFAAT-6 Soldiers then cleared some of the villages in the area of known or suspected insurgents as well as some villages along the way to and from Chapah Darah, according to Scaletta.

Emerich said that as advisors they were able to allow the ANA to conduct necessary mission commands on their own, control the flow of information and make sure reports are going through so that at the end of the day, the ANA brigade finds it very successful and can conduct offensive operations.

"They did briefings every couple hours to make sure everyone was on the same sheet and update themselves and all their staff on the planning," said Scaletta.

"Overall, a very successful mission for the ANA," Scaletta added. "They did a great job; they had really good command and control. Their brigade commander came out here to help see to the fight."