The growth of mechanized cavalry in the 1930s created the need to construct support facilities and housing at Fort Knox.

The main cantonment surrounding Brooks Parade Field was constructed between 1933 and 1940. Most of the buildings were constructed from standardized plans created by the Army Quartermaster Corps. The architecture and planning of this area is typical of permanent Army posts in the years before World War II. The buildings were designed in a Georgian Colonial Revival style and were primarily constructed with red brick.

In 1995, the area comprised of these buildings was designated a Historic District and became eligible for listing on the National Register of Historic Places.