"One of the prettiest sites in Seoul is the changing color of the leaves," said Alex Kozlov, a retiree living near the garrison. "Unfortunately, when they fall, they can cause people to slip."
It is the responsibility of all Area II personnel to keep the garrison clean and tidy by participating in the Area II fall cleanup, scheduled for Nov. 14-22.
In particular, Area II tenant units and residents of Bachelor Officer Quarters (BOQ), Bachelor Enlisted Quarters (BEQ), and Family Quarters are tasked to do a thorough cleanup of their designated areas.
(1) Collect all garbage and trash and place inside trash bins, barrels or receptacles.
(2) Collect all dead grass, leaves, and small tree limbs in trash bags and deposit in trash bins.
(3) Cut tree limbs and branches to three foot lengths and neatly stack inside the bins.
Separate all other items such as rocks, lumber and metal into different stacks next to the bins.
(4) Dispose of all hazardous material and waste in accordance with USAG Yongsan and United States Forces Korea (USFK) Standard Operation Procedures (SOPs).
(5) Units requiring special trash pick-up, i.e. large furniture, must coordinate with the Directorate of Public Works (DPW) at DSN 724-3503.
(6) Remove and trim all weeds and grass from between cracks and seams in sidewalks and curbs.
(7) Rake all gravel areas and flowerbeds in order to present a clean and neat appearance.
(8) Clear garbage, debris, weeds/brush from all drainage ditches and gutters.
(9) Remove all abandoned bicycles from bicycle racks for disposal.
Additional tasks include removing unauthorized signs, replacing unserviceable sand bags used during the monsoon season, discarding furniture through appropriate channels, cleaning windows, and cleaning oil spots.
After the cleanup, USAG Yongsan Command Sgt. Maj. Joseph M. James will conduct an inspection of unit-responsible areas Nov. 21-22.
"Fall Cleanup is important to ensure the safety as well as cleanliness of our community," said James. "Removing the trash, leaves and large debris from our community not only presents a better appearance, it also ensures our safety and prevents our drainage system from being clogged up and ultimately flood an area."