Commanding General and U.S. Ambassador Silverman Meet, Talk Priorities
By Capt. Christy HansonMay 13, 2017
KUWAIT CITY, KUWAIT -- Major General Blake C. Ortner, 29th Infantry Division Commanding General, met with Lawrence Silverman, United States Ambassador to Kuwait to discuss the Intermediate Division Headquarters' role while deployed here. Ortner spoke to the Division's value at the tactical and operational level.
Ortner discussed the Division's mission with Silverman; to help serve as a deterrent to provide regional stability and peace as part of Operation Spartan Shield (OSS). The Division has three priorities: building partner capacity among partner armies, improving the readiness of its assigned forces, and being ready to conduct unified land operations in a contingency."We need to be aware of cultural sensitivities so we don't hinder our progress over a misunderstanding," said Ortner.Recently, OSS Soldiers have participated in multiple training exercises with the Kuwaiti Land Forces. The partnered training allows participants to exchange information, resolve common hindrances and prepare for future execution of tactics, techniques and procedures. A product of training exercises is to build greater cooperation among countries of the Gulf Cooperation Council.
The key leaders continued to discuss the political environment and the changing state of Kuwait. Next, Ortner discussed the next steps by which to continue to build upon the opportunity that 29ID's arrival has provided and to improve communication and mutual understanding of capabilities.
In preparation for their deployment to Kuwait, 29ID Soldiers were instructed on cultural awareness and conducted sensitivity training. This training is required on a quarterly basis. Soldiers practiced what they learned through planning efforts for combined training to enable combined operations. The Soldiers are committed to fostering relationships to reaffirm support for the long term sustainment of security and stability.
- March 31, 2020Army secretary: Soldiers at the ‘tip of the spear’ in COVID-19 fight
- March 31, 2020IPPS-A provides improved visibility, aiding coronavirus response
- March 31, 20203D steel printing at forefront of modernization, readiness
- March 30, 2020California Guard medical unit deep in the COVID-19 fight
- March 30, 2020Soldier focuses on setting example for future female combat troops
- March 30, 2020New incentive pay encourages Soldiers to serve in Alaska
- March 31, 2020US Soldiers reopen dining facility while meeting Italian COVID-19 requirements
- March 27, 2020Army seeks retired medical Soldiers to support COVID-19 efforts
- March 28, 2020Temporary changes to retention, promotion, as COVID-19 persists
- March 27, 2020Army engineers now eyeing 100-plus sites for COVID-19 response
- March 29, 2020Secretary Esper enhances National Guard’s rapid COVID-19 response
- March 27, 2020Army leaders detail efforts against Coronavirus
- March 26, 2020Joint team ensures hypersonic test success