By MSG Krishna M. Gamble, 3rd ID PAOApril 15, 2014
Their order was to win, and that?'s just what they did.
For the second time in three years, 3rd Infantry Division Soldiers took top honors as the culinary team of the year at the Annual Military Culinary Arts Competition held at Fort Lee, Virginia. More than 20 teams from all branches of the Armed Services compete in this annual event sanctioned by the American Culinary Federation. It is the largest culinary competition in North America.
?"You are the number one culinary team in the entire U. S. Army," Maj. Gen. Mike Murray, 3rd ID commanding general told the team members during an award ceremony April 11. ?"That is not an easy competition to win, but I am excited that you did it. This is a big deal."
Led by Sgt. Maj. David Turcotte, 3rd ID food services manager, the Fort Stewart team trained from January to March at Evans Army Airfield Dinning Facility, which led to the team winning the student skills, field cooking events, and nutritional hot food challenge against 234 competitors.
The team will go on to compete on a national level at the 2014 ACF National Convention in July.
Currently in its 39th year, the U.S. Army Culinary Arts Competition has been held annually with the exception of 1991 and 2003, during Operations Desert Storm and Iraqi Freedom. The competition showcases the talents of military chefs from around the globe in all branches of the U.S. Armed Forces.
The members of the Fort Stewart Team are:
• Staff Sgt. Veronica Pfister-Solomon, 385th Military Police Brigade
• Staff Sgt. Dianna L. Royal, 2nd Armored Brigade Combat Team
• Sgt. Evin M. Galbreath, 3rd Sustainment Brigade
• Spc. Gregory C. Becker, 3rd Sustainment Brigade
• Spc. Rasheeda Etheredge, 4th Infantry Brigade Combat Team
• Spc. Qwenton Franklin, 3rd Sustainment Brigade
• Spc. Symone Harden, 385th Military Police Brigade
• Spc. William Lewis, 3rd Combat Aviation Brigade
• Spc. Aaron Vegh, 4th Infantry Brigade Combat Team
• Pfc. Nyndia Charles, 2nd Armored Brigade Combat Team
• Pfc. Oluwafe Ige, Division Headquarters and Headquarters Battalion
• Spc. Eva D. Kinsey, 3rd Sustainment Brigade
• Pfc. Ferney Perlaza, 3rd Combat Aviation Brigade
• Pfc. Karylie Salvador, 2nd Armored Brigade Combat Team