Fun run brightens Arsenal with awareness
By Giselle Lyons, Army Contracting CommandApril 5, 2018
Workers and Soldiers dressed in their civilian clothing mingled with excitement and nervousness. At the beginning, their running shorts, leggings and T-shirts were immaculate. Their ponytails and crew cuts were clean. But that didn't last long.Within the hour, that changed a little -- or a lot -- as teal and white cornstarch covered their bodies. Puffs of powder flew through the air and landed on their skin. They had finished the Army Contracting Command Color Fun Run.
ACC's Color Fun Run on April 3 was in support of National Sexual Assault Awareness and Prevention Month. Many SAAPM events are going on this month throughout Team Redstone, as all of the tenant organizations bond together to share the message of zero tolerance for sexual assault and harassment in the Army.
"We as SHARP (Sexual Harassment/Assault Response Protection) professionals like to pull together to make a cohesive team so we can ensure that we provide the necessary resources and support to the community of Redstone Arsenal," Sgt. 1st Class Jewell Loving, ACC sexual assault response coordinator, said.
This event certainly did bring organizations together, with Redstone Test Center employees throwing powder and taking photos, Aviation and Missile Command representatives serving as road guards, and Army Materiel Command members working the registration table -- just as a few examples.
More than 200 people signed up for the race. It was not only the workers who came from every organization on the Arsenal, but the runners as well. That fact was not lost on anyone.
"This event was a good chance to exercise and very well-executed," Maj. John Holcombe, ACC executive officer to the commanding general, said. "But it was also great esprit de corps. It really was a chance to bring people together across Team Redstone."
While there are SHARP events throughout the month, the next one ACC will host is a free Zumbathon on Wednesday, April 18 at 6:30 a.m. at Pagano Gym.
- August 7, 2020Sergeant Major of the Army emphasizes quality of life during visit to Redstone Arsenal
- August 6, 2020Fort Knox to host Virtual SHARP Walk/Run Sept. 1-30 in honor of 7,825 survivors in 2019
- August 6, 2020RTC Safety Officer named ATEC Employee of the Quarter
- August 5, 2020It’s Still Risk Management, part V
- August 3, 2020Rapid Mobilization of the DOD Manufacturing Base to Solve COVID-19 Supply Shortages
- August 3, 2020Army Materiel Command Hatch Act training
- July 29, 2020SDDC SARC leverages digital space, sustains healthy command climate
- July 28, 2020August is Antiterrorism Awareness Month
- July 24, 2020AMC commander expresses organization’s commitment to Project Inclusion
- July 24, 2020Army leaders pledge culture shift to eradicate sexual harassment, assault
- July 21, 2020USASAC’s CSM retires after 33 years
- July 20, 2020FARA/FLRAA Mission Systems Industry Day Proves Successful
- July 16, 2020AMCOM Soldiers, NCOs compete for AMC “Best Warrior” title
- July 16, 2020AMC’s Mansker legacy continues leadership tradition of high-ranking NCOs