Fun run brightens Arsenal with awareness
By Giselle Lyons, Army Contracting CommandApril 5, 2018
Workers and Soldiers dressed in their civilian clothing mingled with excitement and nervousness. At the beginning, their running shorts, leggings and T-shirts were immaculate. Their ponytails and crew cuts were clean. But that didn't last long.Within the hour, that changed a little -- or a lot -- as teal and white cornstarch covered their bodies. Puffs of powder flew through the air and landed on their skin. They had finished the Army Contracting Command Color Fun Run.
ACC's Color Fun Run on April 3 was in support of National Sexual Assault Awareness and Prevention Month. Many SAAPM events are going on this month throughout Team Redstone, as all of the tenant organizations bond together to share the message of zero tolerance for sexual assault and harassment in the Army.
"We as SHARP (Sexual Harassment/Assault Response Protection) professionals like to pull together to make a cohesive team so we can ensure that we provide the necessary resources and support to the community of Redstone Arsenal," Sgt. 1st Class Jewell Loving, ACC sexual assault response coordinator, said.
This event certainly did bring organizations together, with Redstone Test Center employees throwing powder and taking photos, Aviation and Missile Command representatives serving as road guards, and Army Materiel Command members working the registration table -- just as a few examples.
More than 200 people signed up for the race. It was not only the workers who came from every organization on the Arsenal, but the runners as well. That fact was not lost on anyone.
"This event was a good chance to exercise and very well-executed," Maj. John Holcombe, ACC executive officer to the commanding general, said. "But it was also great esprit de corps. It really was a chance to bring people together across Team Redstone."
While there are SHARP events throughout the month, the next one ACC will host is a free Zumbathon on Wednesday, April 18 at 6:30 a.m. at Pagano Gym.
- May 26, 2020Winning Matters in Munitions Readiness
- May 21, 2020Quarterly visit puts virtual spotlight on ASC’s people and mission
- May 21, 2020Stuttgart Army clinic’s new coronavirus testing
- May 21, 2020Division West officer and wife renew wedding vows at historic Quarters One on Rock Island Arsenal
- May 21, 2020AFSBn-NEA launches COVID-19 “clean team”
- May 19, 2020Growing tomorrow’s Army space operations officers
- May 19, 2020Picatinny welcomes new Commanding General, Brig. Gen. Vincent F. Malone II
- May 15, 2020Expanded program aids military employees with job transfer opportunities
- May 13, 2020USATA’s operations continue during COVID-19
- May 12, 2020AMLC realigns under Life Cycle Management Command
- May 8, 2020Coping tools key in battle against mental illness, suicide
- May 4, 2020AMCOM program manager excels while meet challenges head on
- April 30, 2020AMC’s human capital forum reviews best practices in supporting workforce
- April 27, 2020Organic industrial base supports Army COVID-19 response