·The Department of the Army, Civil Works, to include the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers (Corps) (together, “Army”), are publishing this notice to announce an effort to modernize the Civil Works program of the Corps through a number of related policy initiatives. This effort includes a series of public and Tribal virtual meetings, as well as a public docket, to gather oral and written input that will be used to inform future decision-making related to: Native American/Tribal Nation issues; potential rulemaking actions regarding the Corps’ Regulatory Program’s implementing regulations for the National Historic Preservation Act as well as Civil Works implementation of the Principles, Requirements, and Guidelines; and, environmental justice, including definitions of certain terms used in policy making.
Information on how to provide oral and written comments is below. Additional information regarding each policy initiative is also below.
To submit written comments to the docket:
You may send written feedback, identified by Docket ID No. COE-2022-0006, by any of the following methods:
· Federal eRulemaking Portal: https://www.regulations.gov/ (our preferred method). Follow the online instructions for submitting written feedback. You can search by the Docket ID No. COE-2022-0006.
· Email: firstname.lastname@example.org. Include Docket ID No. COE-2022-0006 in the subject line of the message.
To register for a virtual meeting:
· Overview virtual meeting (no comments are being solicited for the overview):
o June 22, 2022, 1 p.m. to 3 p.m. Eastern.
Modernize Civil Works FRN Overview Meeting 22 June 2022.pdf [PDF - 9.2 MB]
· Public virtual meeting on Tribal issues:
o July 11, 2022, 1 p.m. to 3 p.m. Eastern.
Modernize Civil Works FRN Tribal Issues Public Meeting 11 July 2022.pdf [PDF - 9.8 MB]
· Public virtual meeting on Appendix C:
o July 14, 2022, 2 p.m. to 4 p.m. Eastern.
· Public virtual meeting on PR&G:
o July 18, 2022, 1 p.m. to 3 p.m. Eastern.
· Public virtual meetings on Environmental Justice:
o July 20, 2022, 1 p.m. to 3 p.m. Eastern.
o July 26, 2022, 2 p.m. to 4 p.m. Eastern.
· Tribal virtual meetings on Tribal Issues:
o July 7, 2022, 1 p.m. to 3 p.m. Eastern.
Modernize Civil Works FRN Tribal Issues Tribal Meeting 07 July 2022.pdf [PDF - 9.6 MB]
o July 12, 2022, 2 p.m. to 4 p.m. Eastern.
· Tribal virtual meeting on Appendix C:
o July 19, 2022, 2 p.m. to 4 p.m. Eastern.
· Tribal virtual meeting on PR&G:
o July 21, 2022, 1 p.m. to 3 p.m. Eastern.
· Tribal virtual meeting on Environmental Justice:
o July 27, 2022, 1 p.m. to 3 p.m. Eastern.
All public sessions will be recorded and posted to this website.
Additional Information on Policy Initiatives:
1) USACE Tribal Consultation Policy
· Tribal Consultation Policies and Related Documents
· Consolidated Appropriations Act, 2004
· Government Accountability Office Report GAO-19-22
· Presidential Memorandum on Indigenous Traditional Ecological Knowledge and Federal Decision Making, November 15, 2021
2) Tribal Partnership Program
· Current TPP Implementation Guidance
· Draft TPP Comprehensive Guidance Outline (PDF) [PDF - 36.3 KB]
3) Appendix C
· Interim Section 106 Guidance, 2005
· Interim Section 106 Guidance, 2007
4) Principles, Requirements, and Guidelines
· Updated Principles, Requirements and Guidelines for Water and Land Related Resources Implementation Studies
5) Environmental Justice
· Interim implementation guidance on environmental justice for the Civil Works program
· OMB Implementation Guidance for the Justice40 Initiative M-21-28
· Executive Order 14008 on Tackling the Climate Crisis at Home and Abroad
· Beta version of the CEQ Climate and Economic Justice Screening Tool
· Environmental Protection Agency’s EJScreen tool
6) WRDA Section 160, Definition of “Economically Disadvantaged Community”
· Proposed definition of “economically disadvantaged community”