Vietnamese People's Army officer participates in international exercise
By Lance Cpl. Kindo GoJune 26, 2019
Vietnamese Armed Forces Capt. Huong Vu is a native of Hanoi, Vietnam, who wanted to take part in peacekeeping around the world. She read about the United Nations and the missions they conducted, thinking about how amazing the missions were. Vu is now a staff officer with the Vietnam Department of Peacekeeping Operations and is participating in Khaan Quest 2019 from June 14-28.
Q: How do you feel being in the military?
A: "I feel really proud serving in the military. There is a lot of opportunities you miss just being a civilian. If I stayed a civilian, I would never get the chance to participate in peacekeeping exercises like Khaan Quest. You also get to travel around to different countries and work with the people there, which is something I really enjoy."
Q: Why do you think Khaan Quest and peacekeeping are important?
A: "I think Khaan Quest is very important because of my lack of experience. What I learn here will definitely be a major help in any mission I deploy to in the future. This is a big confidence booster for me, especially in my leadership skills. I also think peacekeeping is important because we get to work with other countries. We learn about each other and how to work efficiently with one another. To me, this is very essential experience I gain, especially from the more experienced participants of Khaan Quest."
Q: Why do you think women are important in peacekeeping?
A: "In the past, there has been the concept that women are weak and all the protecting should be left to men. I think that's wrong! Women are powerful and can do a lot of things. Women who participate in peacekeeping can protect people just as well as men do. We should go for more gender equality and believe more in the abilities of men and women."
- September 4, 2020Capt. Shauna Pearson Mini-Profile
- September 3, 2020Fort Jackson celebrates women’s equality
- September 3, 2020Speaker discusses underestimating women
- September 1, 2020Post Sergeant Major Highlights Women’s Equality
- September 1, 2020CECOM Command Sergeant Major's corner
- August 27, 2020Fort Leavenworth PWOC kicks off season with drive-in event
- August 26, 2020A century has passed
- August 26, 2020CTNG Celebrates Women’s Equality Day on the 100th Anniversary of the 19th Amendment
- August 26, 2020CG's Corner: Women's Equality Day
- August 25, 2020Army Medical Command recognizes APHC PAO for Women's Equality Day
- August 25, 2020Army Medical Command recognizes APHC scientist for Women's Equality Day
- August 24, 2020Army Medical Command recognizes APHC Leader for Women's Equality Day
- August 24, 2020Celebrating Women’s Equality Day: A reflection on women and the Army Chaplaincy
- August 20, 2020Drill sergeants guide cadet cadre through CST