Vietnamese People's Army officer participates in international exercise
By Lance Cpl. Kindo GoJune 26, 2019
Vietnamese Armed Forces Capt. Huong Vu is a native of Hanoi, Vietnam, who wanted to take part in peacekeeping around the world. She read about the United Nations and the missions they conducted, thinking about how amazing the missions were. Vu is now a staff officer with the Vietnam Department of Peacekeeping Operations and is participating in Khaan Quest 2019 from June 14-28.
Q: How do you feel being in the military?
A: "I feel really proud serving in the military. There is a lot of opportunities you miss just being a civilian. If I stayed a civilian, I would never get the chance to participate in peacekeeping exercises like Khaan Quest. You also get to travel around to different countries and work with the people there, which is something I really enjoy."
Q: Why do you think Khaan Quest and peacekeeping are important?
A: "I think Khaan Quest is very important because of my lack of experience. What I learn here will definitely be a major help in any mission I deploy to in the future. This is a big confidence booster for me, especially in my leadership skills. I also think peacekeeping is important because we get to work with other countries. We learn about each other and how to work efficiently with one another. To me, this is very essential experience I gain, especially from the more experienced participants of Khaan Quest."
Q: Why do you think women are important in peacekeeping?
A: "In the past, there has been the concept that women are weak and all the protecting should be left to men. I think that's wrong! Women are powerful and can do a lot of things. Women who participate in peacekeeping can protect people just as well as men do. We should go for more gender equality and believe more in the abilities of men and women."
- March 26, 2020Readjusting to civilian life – it takes a village
- March 23, 2020National Guard Soldier among the Idaho Women of the Year
- March 23, 2020Army Women’s Foundation 2020 Hall of Fame inducts three chaplains
- March 19, 2020Women’s History Month 2020: Valiant Women of the Vote
- March 18, 2020Guard has long supported local officials in health emergencies
- March 16, 2020U.S. Army celebrates women's contributions and service
- March 16, 2020Oklahoma Army Guardsman saves woman from fire
- March 12, 2020A leader who 'happens to be a woman'
- March 12, 2020FORSCOM recognizes 'Women of Excellence'
- March 9, 2020U.S. Army Reserve-Puerto Rico highlights contributions of female Soldiers
- March 9, 2020Fort Knox, HRC to host Women's History Month observance March 31
- March 6, 2020Rape victim's counseling marked start of healing
- March 2, 2020Chicagoland Soldiers and Veterans rally around all-female Honor Flight announcement
- February 27, 2020Honoring Black History World War II Service to the Nation