Soldier recognizes military children's sacrifices
By Spc. Corey ForemanApril 27, 2016
FORT STEWART, Ga. (April 20, 2016) - Sgt. 1st Class Scott Simmington, rear detachment operations noncommissioned officer in charge with 3rd Battalion, 7th Infantry Regiment, 2nd Infantry Brigade Combat Team, 3rd Infantry Division spoke to military children, thanking them for sacrifices they make, at Button Gwinnett Elementary School, Hinesville, Georgia, April 20.
"It's hard at this age," said Delores Crawford, principal of Button Gwinnett Elementary School. "They don't understand when a parent deploys where their mom or dad may be, why they can't be with them. The absence of the parent is an immense sacrifice that our children make."
"Constant deployments, moves and changing schools are some sacrifices the children have to make," Simmington explained.
The Army recognizes the sacrifices children and families make, and established programs and services to assist with deployments and long missions such as the Military and Family Life Counseling Program and the Child and Youth Behavioral Program.
Support for a Soldier's family is important during deployments and longer missions because it provides the Soldier ease of mind while conducting their mission.
"I've been gone for the past 12 years overseas in some country or another," Simmington said. "If it wasn't for my kids and wife being able to do so good stateside, I don't think I would have done as well while deployed."
The Army recognizes and appreciates the commitment, contributions and sacrifices of military children.
"We designate April as the Month of the Military Child to pay a tribute to our children and their families for the sacrifices they make," Crawford said.
- August 6, 2020National Purple Heart Recognition Day honors heroes’ sacrifices
- August 6, 2020Preparedness key when facing inclement weather, emergencies
- August 6, 2020NY National Guard trains to be 'eye in sky' for 27th Brigade
- August 5, 2020151st Infantry Regiment adapts training to COVID-19 pandemic
- August 3, 2020Newly reactivated, 197th Infantry Brigade joins team that trains recruits to serve in Infantry
- August 3, 202045th Infantry Brigade Combat Team conducts annual training
- July 31, 20202CR Soldiers participate in ruck march for EIB and ESB
- July 30, 2020Escape rooms test leadership, communication skills
- July 30, 2020Vietnam veteran returns guidon
- July 30, 2020‘Life in a Day’ at Fort Leavenworth
- July 29, 2020First Army battalion commander does it the ‘write’ way
- July 29, 2020NY Guard logistics Soldiers hone airdrop resupply skills
- July 28, 20201st SBCT tackles EDRE, NTC rotation load out
- July 24, 2020USAG Wiesbaden child care centers keep safety top of mind
- July 23, 2020Child and Youth services, others hiring at Fort Riley
- July 22, 2020Task Force 5 offers JRTC, Fort Polk units abatis training