Soldiers kick it with fellow Taekwondo-ins at annual festival in Seoul
By Kenji ThuloweitOctober 8, 2019
"Unifying the world with Taekwondo" is the theme at the Kukkiwon Taekwondo Headquarters in Gangnam, Seoul, South Korea. Eighth Army Soldiers joined fellow Taekwondo-ins at the 2019 Foreigners Taekwondo Culture Festival Sept. 28.
The event began with a ceremony that featured Kukkiwon's demonstration team breaking boards and performing with traditional Korean drums. Eighth Army leaders from across the peninsula were among the dignitaries honored during the ceremony. After a lunch period featuring food from around the world, the action kicked off.The Taekwondo students participated in competitions such as sparring, board breaking or hand striking, and speed kicking.
"This is my second time coming (to Kukkiwon); it's really a privilege to be here," said Spc. Jose Ortiz, 61st Support Maintenance Company, who helped represent 2nd Infantry Division/Republic of Korea-U.S. Combined Division.
Soldiers belonging to Taekwondo clubs across South Korea were invited to Gangnam for the day. Ortiz said he studies under Grandmaster Kim at Camp Casey, South Korea, who is affiliated with Kukkiwon.The top competitors in each category were rated and judged by Kukkiwon staff members and medals were awarded at the end of the day.
According to Korean websites, Kukkiwon is also known as World Taekwondo Headquarters and is home to the World Taekwondo Academy, which is the official Taekwondo governing organization established by South Korea. It is supervised by the International Sports Division of the Ministry of Culture, Sports, and Tourism.
- March 27, 2020Fort McCoy DPW Housing Division dedicated to customer satisfaction
- March 27, 2020501st Military Intelligence Brigade Trains SHARP Ambassadors
- March 25, 2020USAMMC-K plays key role in fight against COVID-19 in Korea
- March 25, 2020USAISEC expertise powers cutting-edge 2nd Infantry Division cyber operations center
- March 24, 2020Florida National Guard opens COVID-19 testing site at stadium
- March 19, 2020Women’s History Month 2020: Valiant Women of the Vote
- March 18, 2020FLNG helps with drive-through virus testing in South Florida
- March 18, 2020Former basketball player vying for Olympics in Taekwondo
- March 17, 2020U.S. Army Personnel and Families arrive to Korea after Stop Movement
- March 17, 2020COVID-19 screening procedures are being conducted at all U.S. Army installations in South Korea
- March 12, 2020Camp Humphreys Provost Marshal awards "Officer of the Month"
- March 12, 2020Greywolf returns home from 9-month Korean rotation
- March 12, 2020American Forces Network highlights 403rd AFSB in Korea
- March 12, 2020FORSCOM FRONTLINE
- March 10, 2020Government Agencies Work to Combat the Spread of COVID-19
- March 5, 2020Area IV Medics Make History in Support of COVID-19