Soldiers kick it with fellow Taekwondo-ins at annual festival in Seoul
By Kenji ThuloweitOctober 8, 2019
"Unifying the world with Taekwondo" is the theme at the Kukkiwon Taekwondo Headquarters in Gangnam, Seoul, South Korea. Eighth Army Soldiers joined fellow Taekwondo-ins at the 2019 Foreigners Taekwondo Culture Festival Sept. 28.
The event began with a ceremony that featured Kukkiwon's demonstration team breaking boards and performing with traditional Korean drums. Eighth Army leaders from across the peninsula were among the dignitaries honored during the ceremony. After a lunch period featuring food from around the world, the action kicked off.The Taekwondo students participated in competitions such as sparring, board breaking or hand striking, and speed kicking.
"This is my second time coming (to Kukkiwon); it's really a privilege to be here," said Spc. Jose Ortiz, 61st Support Maintenance Company, who helped represent 2nd Infantry Division/Republic of Korea-U.S. Combined Division.
Soldiers belonging to Taekwondo clubs across South Korea were invited to Gangnam for the day. Ortiz said he studies under Grandmaster Kim at Camp Casey, South Korea, who is affiliated with Kukkiwon.The top competitors in each category were rated and judged by Kukkiwon staff members and medals were awarded at the end of the day.
According to Korean websites, Kukkiwon is also known as World Taekwondo Headquarters and is home to the World Taekwondo Academy, which is the official Taekwondo governing organization established by South Korea. It is supervised by the International Sports Division of the Ministry of Culture, Sports, and Tourism.
- July 30, 2020New fitness class: personalized workouts get blood pumping, heart rate bursting
- July 27, 2020501st Military Intelligence Brigade Hosts Change of Command Ceremony
- July 20, 2020Program offers Area IV students productive summer opportunities
- July 17, 2020Medics compete to see who is best in Eighth Army
- July 13, 2020A Digital Strategy for Religious Support
- July 13, 2020Humphreys in-processing goes online
- July 13, 2020Pyeongtaek thanks Eighth Army NCO for COVID-19 info sharing
- July 13, 2020ROK Medical Officers Integrate into 65th Medical Brigade
- July 9, 2020Post offers COVID-19 testing
- July 8, 2020Korea’s Top Dentist Changes Command
- July 7, 2020501st Military Intelligence Brigade Holds Memorial for Mark Crisman
- July 7, 2020549th Hospital Center and Brian D. Allgood Army Community Hospital welcome new Commander
- July 2, 2020'Pacific Medics' welcome new commander
- June 23, 2020COVID-19 Response Highlighted at Change of Command for Army's Medical Materiel Center-Korea