SMDC stands down for safety
By Jason Cutshaw (SMDC/ARSTRAT)June 10, 2019
REDSTONE ARSENAL, Alabama - With summer approaching, two Redstone Arsenal commands focus on the health and safety of their employees.The U.S. Army Space and Missile Defense Command/Army Forces Strategic Command and the Missile Defense Agency hosted the 11th annual Joint Safety and Occupational Health Exposition to promote safety awareness June 6 at the Von Braun Complex on Redstone Arsenal. The event is a part of the annual spring and summer safety campaign as well as kicking off June as the National Safety Month."The day's activities focused on safety demonstrations and inspections performed by both members of Redstone Arsenal and vendors from surrounding communities," said Randy Joyner, USASMDC/ARSTRAT Safety director. "Warm weather and higher temperatures means increased outdoor recreational activities, home maintenance projects and summer travel for leisure. The focus of today's event is to promote safety awareness with emphasis on mitigating risks with summer activities and hazards associated with working around the home."Leadership recognizes that taking time out of our regular work schedules to focus on safety topics reinforces the importance of making safety the priority in everything we do," he added. "I hope all of our team has a safe and wonderful summer."The purpose of the joint venue is to promote safety awareness; to minimize the risk of unintentional death, injury or damage caused by mishaps; promote proactive safety measures within the command elements in Huntsville and recognize June as National Safety Month.
The Safety Day expo highlighted SMDC's and MDA's commitments to employee safety and health by bringing in local vendors to demonstrate and promote safety awareness."The health and safety of our workforce is very important," said Mike Wadzinski, MDA Safety, Quality and Mission Assurance director. "Our employees are our most important resource and it is imperative that we value their wellbeing. This joint effort allows us to bring in local health and safety experts to provide preventative information that is relevant for the workforce and their families."MDA and SMDC employees and family members at Redstone Arsenal got a firsthand chance to learn about local safety and health issues unique to Alabama and the Tennessee Valley. They learned about issues confronting them both at home and at work, indoors and outdoors.The SMDC Safety Office also hosts a Safety Stand Up for its team members stationed in Colorado Springs, Colorado. This year's event was held on April 30.Exhibits and safety demonstrations in Huntsville included: Mr. Electric; HealthSource; Fleet Feet Sports; Brister's Martial Arts; Alabama Department of Transportation; Federal Occupational Health; Alabama Holistic Health; Redstone Harley Davidson; Civil Air Patrol; Land Trust; Redstone Arsenal Fire Department; Huntsville's Natatorium; Redstone Game Warden; Army Ready and Resilient Campaign; American Cancer Society; U.S. Coast Guard; Madison County Community Emergency Response Team Association; Alabama State Troopers; Bicycles Etc.; North Alabama Firearms; Redstone Arsenal Substance Abuse Program; Winning Edge; Redstone Arsenal Nutritionist; and SARTEC - Search and Rescue Team; Safe-T-Shelter. Fox Army Health Center Health provided information on hearing protection, ergonomics, heat stroke prevention, medicine safety and choking prevention.
- April 1, 2020Materiel enterprise supports DOD, civil authorities COVID-19 response
- April 1, 2020Spiritual well-being grows employee resiliency even in difficult times
- March 30, 2020CCDC Aviation, Missile Center highlights forward-launched UAS technology
- March 30, 2020AMC offers best practices for those teleworking
- March 27, 2020Message from Maj. Gen. Shapiro on COVID-19 at RIA
- March 26, 2020Joint team ensures hypersonic test success
- March 25, 2020Future Vertical Lift: Army selects Future Attack Reconnaissance Aircraft prototype performers
- March 25, 2020‘I never had a bad day in the Army’
- March 23, 2020JMC’s Explosives Safety Site Plans SAVE LIVES!
- March 19, 2020FLW Homes suspends non-emergency work orders
- March 17, 2020The President’s Coronavirus Guidelines for America
- March 11, 2020AMCOM town hall focuses on people
- March 11, 2020AMCOM Logistics Center executive director selected as AMCOM deputy
- March 11, 2020Army Materiel Command Hall of Fame recognizes legacy of five inductees
- March 10, 2020Army NCO to speak out against sexual assault at Redstone kickoff
- March 6, 2020AMCOM hosts Team Redstone briefings to industry