COLUMBUS, Ga. -- As part of an awards ceremony celebrating community partnerships in local schools, military units from Fort Benning, Georgia, were recognized for their school partnerships May 14 in downtown Columbus, Georgia.The Greater Columbus Georgia Chamber of Commerce hosted the 2019 Partners in Education Awards Ceremony to highlight the community-school partnerships that had taken place over the 2018-2019 academic school year.Six of the top 10 PIE partnerships included military partners. This included:
- Blackmon Road Middle School with 2nd Squadron, 16th Cavalry Regiment, as well as Morningside Baptist Church, Chick-Fil-A (Bradley Park), Columbus Technical College, and Wild Wing Café,
- Columbus High School with the Maneuver Battle Lab as well as Aflac Inc., St. Paul United Methodist Church, and Little Caesars,
- E. A. White Elementary School with the Officer Candidate School, 2nd Battalion, 58th Infantry Regiment,
- Freddie Stowers Elementary School with 316th Cavalry Brigade,
- Morris R. McBride Elementary School with 2nd Battalion, 11th Infantry Regiment, and 2nd Battalion, 47th Infantry Regiment, and
- South Columbus Elementary School with the Warrior Transition Battalion as well as Synovus and American Legion Post 333.In addition to their recognition for their partnership with Morris R. McBride Elementary School, 2nd Battalion, 11th Infantry Regiment, and 2nd Battalion, 47th Infantry Regiment, achieved one of three projects of the year for improving academic performance for "Morrie's Friends" reading buddies project.To learn more about units at Fort Benning, visit www.benning.army.mil.