Spartans run for National Airborne Day
By Sgt. Alex A Skripnichuk (Hood)September 25, 2018
More than three thousand paratroopers gathered into a formation surrounding the flagpole at Pershing Field in front of USARAK Headquarters. They waited silently until a blast from a ceremonial cannon signaled the raising of the United States flag and reveille played
With the morning ritual complete paratroopers set their gaze on Col. Jason J. Jones, Spartan Brigade Commander. He gave a short speech explaining the importance of National Airborne Day and the special place Spartans held in its creation.
"I'm truly honored and privileged to serve as commander of the only arctic airborne brigade in the United States Army inventory," said Jones. The Spartan Brigade is one of five Infantry Brigade Combat Teams (Airborne) in the U.S. Army Jones told the paratroopers.
In 2015, the Spartan Brigade performed the largest U.S. airborne mission north of the Arctic Circle by inserting nearly 150 paratroopers near Deadhorse, Alaska, in an operation to validate Soldier mobility across frozen terrain.
National Airborne Day was proclaimed in 2002 by president George W. Bush and coincides with the Army's first official parachute jump by the Test Platoon 16 Aug., 1940., at Fort Benning, Georgia. Many of those first paratroopers went on to be members of the first airborne unit, the 501st Parachute Battalion. That Battalion continues to serve to this day as a member of the Spartan Brigade. Although it is now known as 1st Battalion, 501st Parachute Infantry Regiment.
The Spartan Brigade trains to strategically deploy and conduct decisive operations in order to deter and defeat adversaries, facilitate security cooperation and to contribute to a stable and secure Indo-Pacific region.
- June 23, 2020Task Force Spartan Maintainers Keep the Task Force Moving
- June 20, 2020Bulldog Mortar Platoon honors one of their own
- June 19, 2020North Carolina Guard conducts airborne operations
- June 13, 2020Panther Paratroopers Earn Expert Infantryman, Expert Soldier Badges
- June 11, 2020Blanchfield Army Community Hospital Surgery Super Clinic team delivers high level of care
- June 9, 2020Building on his vocals, SPC Wheeler show artistic passions during COVID19
- June 8, 2020Camp Zama’s class of 2020 seniors graduate virtually, equipped with resiliency to start new chapter
- June 3, 2020USASAC bids farewell to commander
- May 29, 2020Army advances materials for new low-profile antenna
- May 28, 2020Spartans train to recertify on electronic warfare capabilities
- May 27, 2020Captain impresses TRADOC CG with COVID-19 mitigation measures for Airborne students, cadre safety
- May 27, 2020Enigmatologist master, SPC Burke puzzles through COVID
- May 26, 2020Bastogne medic joins BACH in fight against COVID-19
- May 26, 2020Run for the Fallen: No Slack Soldiers honor generations of heroes
- May 15, 2020Paratroopers train to become Soldiers-Athletes with GiBs
- May 11, 2020Mitigation measures enable successful recon ops for Paratroopers