173rd Airborne Brigade paratrooper dies in Italy (Follow up)
By 173rd Airborne Brigade Public AffairsJanuary 8, 2017
VICENZA, Italy -- A paratrooper assigned to the 173rd Airborne Brigade was found dead on January 6, 2017 at his off-post residence in Vicenza.Sgt. 1st Class John B. Owensby, 42, of Columbia, MD entered the military on Feb. 23, 2000 as a Health Care Specialist. He was assigned to Headquarters and Headquarters Company, 2nd Battalion, 503rd Infantry Regiment (Airborne) since May 9, 2014.
Owensby's awards and decorations include the Defense Meritorious Service Medal, Meritorious Service Medal, Army Commendation Medal, Army Achievement Medal and Parachutist's Badge, among others.
The incident is still under investigation by Italian and U.S. officials.
For further information, media should contact the 173rd Airborne Brigade Public Affairs office at +39 0444-66-4052.
- May 21, 2020Fort Leonard Wood senior leaders surprise Soldier with President’s Volunteer Service Award
- May 20, 2020AC season on the way
- May 18, 2020Army ManTech program advances materials for new low-profile antenna
- May 18, 2020NO SLACK Soldiers of 2-327th Inf. Regt. take to range maintaining readiness, preparing for JRTC
- May 15, 2020Paratroopers train to become Soldiers-Athletes with GiBs
- May 14, 2020Medal of Honor recipient SSG Ronald J. Shurer II passes away
- May 11, 2020Mitigation measures enable successful recon ops for Paratroopers
- May 8, 2020D Troop ensures Bandits mission ready, despite pandemic
- May 8, 2020Spouses recognized across Lightning Brigade
- May 7, 2020Italian eyewitnesses share their memories about liberation 75 years ago
- May 6, 2020US Army Garrison Italy reveals COVID-19 recovery plan
- May 4, 2020USAG Italy COVID-19 Recovery Plan Explained
- April 30, 2020601st Quartermaster Company Sews Face Masks For COVID-19 Relief Efforts
- April 29, 2020Parachute rigger school jumpers once again fly skies over Pickett