First Team commander reads for children
By Sgt. Garett HernandezMay 4, 2016
FORT HOOD, Texas - "Brat is actually an acronym. B is for bright. R is for resilient. A is for adaptive. T is for trustworthy. That's what it means," said Maj. Gen. J.T. Thomson, 1st Cavalry Division commanding general, before reading to a room full of kids. "Military children make a lot of sacrifices for their moms and dads."
Taking any free space on the floor, children gathered and they waited quietly. They had come to the 1st Cavalry Division Family Readiness Center here to listen to the story "Verdi", by Janell Cannon, April 26.
Thomson read "Verdi" to the children for a Tell Me a Story event. The tale is about a young snake that doesn't want to grow up to be like all the other adult snakes but learns that growing up doesn't mean he has to change who he is.
The event aims to helps empower military children throw the use of books.
"I think one of the best things we can do for our children is to read to them and get them involved in reading," said Lt. Col. Paul Krattiger, commander of 1st Battalion, 5th Cavalry Regiment, 2nd Armored Brigade Combat Team, whom brought both of his daughters to the event. "It fosters a life time of learning or desire to learn."
Along with the story, the children were treated to actives such as games and crafts that were based on the book.
Ellery, a child that listened to the First Team commanding general as he read the book, explained that she liked the book as well as the actives after the reading as well.
"I liked [the story] because it has a moral," said Ellery.
- August 11, 202026,000 miles of inspiration
- August 11, 2020Back-to School Immunizations: What you need to know
- August 7, 2020Fort Bliss SRU Helps Soldier Beat Tough Injury Suffered in Somalia
- August 7, 2020Meditation, mindfulness and the mind-body connection: ARCP Soldiers practice yoga and iRest
- August 6, 2020Preparedness key when facing inclement weather, emergencies
- August 4, 2020Army Reserve officer credits Army training with his success in aerospace career
- August 2, 2020Fort Benning Soldier Recovery Unit Helps Stir Crazy Soldiers
- July 31, 20202CR Soldiers earn their EIB and ESB ribbons and awards
- July 31, 20202CR Soldiers participate in ruck march for EIB and ESB
- July 30, 2020‘Life in a Day’ at Fort Leavenworth
- July 29, 2020Brave Rifles Conduct Live Artillery Gun Raid Training
- July 24, 2020USAG Wiesbaden child care centers keep safety top of mind
- July 24, 2020"Army Child Development Programs"
- July 21, 2020Soldiers learn to read their dogs
- July 17, 2020US Soldiers arrive in Poland for DEFENDER-Europe 20 Phase II