My Korea My Life
By Sgt. Kim Han-byeol (2d ID)January 2, 2014
Many Soldiers face the hardship of being separated from their family and friends during the holidays.
Soldiers deployed to Korea have the same difficulty, but spending the holidays in Korea can be more enjoyable than they think.
Fresno, Calif., native Sgt. 1st Class Maria Estrada, a maintenance supervisor assigned to Headquarters and Headquarters Company, 70th Brigade Support Battalion, 210th Fires Brigade, 2nd Infantry Division, enjoys her life and holidays in Korea.
At first, she was unsure how much she would enjoy her tour in Korea. However, now that she has spent time here, "It's going to be hard to leave," said Estrada.
Even though Estrada is stationed in Korea and away from home, she has been able to enjoy many of her favorite things with her new friends Ahn young-sil and Cha Eun-jeong who are a married couple she met during a golf tournament.
Since then, she spends a lot of her time with them exploring new things.
"I have spent most of my time here in Korea with them," she said.
Estrada learned more about Korean culture with her friends during the Thanksgiving holiday weekend, including a visit to Seoul to watch the original Korean Musical 'Miso.'
"I was so excited to see the popular musical, and it was so beautiful and had great music," said Estrada. Estrada added that the Korean Musical 'Miso' had traditional Korean instruments and clothes.
She also enjoyed a wonderful Thanksgiving dinner with the Soldiers of 70th BSB, followed by a traditional Black Friday shopping trip to the Camp Casey for a taste of home.
Even though she wasn't able to spend time with her family, Estrada found a different way to enjoy the holiday season. She feels lucky to be able to come to Korea and experience a culture that people back in the states don't.
- August 6, 2020War Veterans Memorial Ceremony marks 70th anniversary of Korean Service Corps
- August 5, 2020121st Field Hospital Demonstrates Its Agility and Capability to Senior Medical Counterparts
- August 4, 2020121st Field Hospital Demonstrates Its Agility and Capability to ROK Counterparts
- August 3, 2020Unit Specialist for Intelligence and Sustainment Company reenlists at Humphreys
- July 30, 2020New fitness class: personalized workouts get blood pumping, heart rate bursting
- July 27, 2020501st Military Intelligence Brigade Hosts Change of Command Ceremony
- July 21, 2020Ceremony honors Korean railroad workers who fought, died in Korean War
- July 20, 2020Program offers Area IV students productive summer opportunities
- July 17, 2020Medics compete to see who is best in Eighth Army
- July 15, 2020Civilian employee praises helmet, PPE for saving life after motorcycle accident
- July 13, 2020Humphreys in-processing goes online
- July 13, 2020ROK Medical Officers Integrate into 65th Medical Brigade
- July 8, 2020599th Trans. Bde., partners load out Hawaii Marines for PTA