By Matthew Rector, Environmental Management DivisionFebruary 1, 2018
By 1922 Camp Knox had become the second largest Army training center in the United States. In addition to being home to various units, the post served as a Reserve Officer Training Camp and a Citizens' Military Training Camp. That summer, however, the artillery officers' "basic school" at Camp Knox moved to Fort Sill, Oklahoma.
In July 1923, Army Chief of Staff General John J. Pershing inspected Camp Knox. While there, he and others took time for a photograph on the steps of the Officers' Club. Standing on the top row are Col. Rhodes and Maj. George C. Marshall, aide-de-camp to Pershing. On the bottom row are Maj. Gen. James H. McRae, commander of 5th Corps Area, Pershing, Brig. Gen. Dwight E. Aultman, commander of Camp Knox, and Col. Peter E. Traub, commanding officer of the CMTC at Camp Knox.