VELBURG, Germany — Numerous castle ruins are scattered across Germany, and Burgruine Velburg is extremely accessible from USAG Bavaria. Being that this historical site is located only 15 kilometers from the Hohenfels Training Area, it offers community members the perfect opportunity to get outdoors and learn about German culture.
How to reach the top
Overlooking the small town of Velburg, this castle has a spectacular view of the town and the surrounding countryside. Visitor parking is available within town and at a small, dirt lot nearby. The hike to the top consists of a short trail approximately 0.8 kilometers — perfect for nature lovers. To this day, visitors can see well-preserved portions of the castle walls up close.
While eating and drinking is permitted, there are no trash cans on the perimeter. It is crucial that visitors do not leave any trash behind.
Test your knowledge before visiting
Burgruine Velburg has an interesting history that dates back to the medieval period, according to the City of Velburg.
During the early-1100s, this castle was home to the Counts of Velburg. After lineage ceased in the early-1200s, ownership was transferred to the Duchy of Bavaria. Then in the mid-1400s, this castle was not only burned down but also completely restored. In the following decades, this castle continued to be the point of countless seizures and conflict.
After the War of the Succession of Landshut in the early-1500s, the castle became a part of the newly formed principality of Pflaz-Neuberg. Moreover, castle ownership was passed to Sir George Wispeck for less than a century, due to his lineage ending. By 1574, the castle was inhabited.
As result of the Thirty Years War in 1633, the castle was damaged and captured by the Swedish. It was not repaired at this time. Furthermore, by the early-1700s permission was granted to use the decaying castle stones to build private housing and expand the church.
Castle ownership changed hands once more in 1793, when the City of Velburg purchased it from the National Electoral Directorate Neuburg. According to Velburg City, the first successful joint project in preserving the castle ruins occurred in the late-1900s — resulting largely in the preservation efforts that can be seen today.