Michigan National Guard provides drive-thru COVID-19 testing
By Staff Sgt. Tegan Kucera, Michigan National GuardAugust 25, 2020
THREE RIVERS, Mich. – The Michigan National Guard brought drive-thru community COVID-19 testing to Three Rivers, Baldwin and Newago Aug. 13-14.“I believe these missions are important to the public,” said Spc. Nathan McCann a medic with the Guard’s Task Force 182. “It helps ease the minds of some, knowing that there’s constant statewide testing going on.”McCann is new to the testing teams, filling in for others who had to get back to their homes and families after several months on the job with the Michigan National Guard’s testing mission. Before joining the testing teams, he was involved in COVID-19 relief activities at the TCF Regional Care Center and at food banks, helping many people within the state in a variety of ways.“We are always here and ready to help with whatever we can if ever we’re needed,” said McCann.Also new to the testing teams, Spc. Corjon Wright had been on his annual training before coming on orders to help out.“Doing this is just a benefit for the community. It was great to see that people were willing to come out and get tested.” said Wright, who was in Three Rivers.“I was surprised by the overwhelming response,” he said.Sgt. Austin Topolski, a Task Force team leader, has been part of the testing teams from the beginning and has had to set some of the best practices and policies for quick and safe tests.“We want to stay strong enough to consistently do the missions for the state of Michigan, keeping us viable and busy,” said Topolski, who was in Newaygo.A Marine before he became a member of the National Guard, Topolski knew what it meant to serve his country. Now he has also had the experience of serving his community as a Citizen-Soldier, an integral part of the National Guard’s mission.
- September 4, 2020Michigan Guard conducts free COVID tests on Mackinac Island
- September 4, 2020KMC Onstage Theater back on stage after six months
- September 3, 2020Tennessee Guard reaches milestone in COVID-19 testing
- September 1, 2020Michigan National Guard helps test food workers for COVID-19
- August 26, 2020Michigan Army National Guard evaluated during XCTC
- August 26, 2020Army multi-component effort pushes through training exercise in the face of COVID-19
- August 24, 2020Michigan Guard CST, fire department conduct HAZMAT training
- August 21, 2020The Letterkenny Munitions Center Is Reducing Cost And Ensuring Safety Through Non-Destructive Testing.
- August 19, 2020Tribes, Nevada Guard combine efforts for COVID-19 testing
- August 18, 2020Michigan National Guard conducts COVID-19 testing, training
- August 13, 2020Michigan Guard conducts MORTEP certification training
- August 11, 2020Michigan National Guard hands off PPE warehouse to state