'Bridging the gap': 4ID hosts career fair for local students
By Sgt. Gabrielle WeaverFebruary 10, 2020
FORT CARSON, Colo. - High school students from across the Denver and Colorado Springs area gathered in the William "Bill" Reed Special Events Center to learn about the U.S. Army's variety of career fields Jan. 22-23 during the installation's first Meet Your Soldier career fair.Approximately 140 high school students attended the career fair, a joint effort between 4th Infantry Division and Denver Army Recruiting Battalion."It's important to try and bridge the gap," said Sgt. 1st Class Michael Stone, the U.S. Army Recruiting Command Division Outreach NCO, 4th Inf. Div. "Most high school students do not know the opportunities the U.S. Army has to offer."Soldiers from various brigades educated the students on the different jobs the U.S. Army offers, including military working dog handlers, explosive ordnance disposal specialists and unmanned aircraft system operators."We gave the students a description of an RQ-11 Raven unmanned aerial vehicle," said Pfc. Skyler Solvang, a cavalry scout with Alpha Troop, 3rd Squadron, 61st Cavalry Regiment, 2nd Infantry Brigade Combat Team, 4th Inf. Div. "We also explained how the system works in an open environment and how it flies."Going forward, Fort Carson leaders plan to conduct Meet Your Soldier career fairs for students every quarter."Without the opportunity that (the 4th Inf. Div.) provides to Denver Army Recruiting Battalion, we would have nowhere to take (the students)," said Larry Beer, the education services specialist for Denver Army Recruiting Battalion. "We are very grateful for that."
- September 22, 20204/2CR’s Page makes history during live-fire exercise
- September 18, 2020The U.S. Army Audit Agency is Seeking Student Interns
- September 17, 2020EOD RECRUITING DAY SHINES LIGHT ON EXPLOSIVE CAREER FIELD
- September 17, 2020Fort Campbell schools celebrate successful opening
- September 17, 2020Infantry School ends traditional 'shark attack,' adopts new way of instilling warrior ethos in recruits
- September 15, 2020U.S. Army Training and Doctrine Command Promotes Leader Development Through New Virtual Program
- September 15, 2020Spartan Paratroopers Execute Joint Forcible Entry
- September 10, 2020‘Meet the teacher’ welcomes students, parents to Fort Leavenworth schools
- September 9, 2020Partner nations participate in flag ceremony for CGSOC class
- September 2, 2020Standard Operating Procedures: This is the way we’ve always done it.
- September 2, 2020New York recruiters partner to distribute dairy, produce
- September 1, 2020Developing Leaders: 2SBCT Prepares Young Officers for Leadership Roles