US taxpayers should check ITIN expiration date
By U.S. ArmyJanuary 29, 2018
VICENZA, Italy -- All individuals listed on a federal United States tax return must have an identification number.
While United States citizens and permanent residents (also called "green card holders") may use a Social Security number, non-United States persons must apply for and be issued an Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN).
If this is the first year you will require an ITIN, you may apply for one when the tax return is filed this tax season. However, those who have been issued an ITIN in the past must be sure to check the expiration date. ITINs that contain middle digits of 70, 71, 72, or 80 (e.g. 9NN-70-NNNN), or that have not been used on a tax return in one of the past three tax years, expired on Dec. 31, 2017, and must be renewed.
Taxpayers may renew the ITIN immediately and do not have to wait for a notice from the IRS to do so. Failing to renew the ITIN as soon as possible could delay processing of any entitled refund.
To renew the ITIN, submit a completed Form W-7 with all required supporting documentation. Just like when the ITIN was first issued, supporting documentation must be certified by the issuing agency. Stop by the Vicenza Tax Center in Building 166 on Caserma Ederle, with any questions about the process.
- June 18, 2018Oregon Army National Guard Chinook helicopter unit prepares for homeland missions
- June 15, 2018Northwest Guardian to cease publication: the end of an era
- June 14, 2018Former commanders, deputies tour depot, discuss issues
- June 14, 2018Reaffirming, Remembering, Rededicating, and Renewing Why We Serve
- June 13, 2018On Capitol Hill, Army leaders, lawmakers toast Army birthday, 243 years of defending freedom
- June 13, 2018SFAB adds 'extensive tactical depth' in first 100 days in Afghanistan, commander says
- June 13, 2018First Army helps units prep for deployment during Warfighter Exercise
- June 13, 2018Faces of the Force: How important relationships are to building a successful career
- June 13, 201882nd Airborne Division descends on the Baltics for Swift Response exercise
- June 11, 2018Kentucky Army National Guard trains in Lithuania
- June 8, 2018Michigan Army National Guard press unit supports Saber Strike 18
- June 5, 2018Outstanding imaging performance at Madigan
- June 5, 2018WINGS OF DESTINY: Culminating leadership exercise builds team, unit pride
- June 1, 2018Leaving the Paper Trail: Army Reserve Issues Paper Reduction Policy
- May 29, 2018401st Army Field Support Brigade issues first 'configured for combat' equipment set from APS-5
- May 22, 2018Tobyhanna unites community around Armed Forces Day