Hybrid-Electric Humvee: 'Green Mobility'
By Bill DowellApril 20, 2009
The Hybrid-Electric Humvee has a diesel engine and electric motor generator which are combined to create a series hybrid that uses two traction motors to drive the front and rear axles.The system has the capability to allow the user six hours of silent watch and up to six miles of silent mobility using its battery system. Additionally, this vehicle can export up to 30 kW of power to external sources.The theme of this year's Society of Automotive Engineers 2009 World Congress in Michigan this week is "Racing to Green Mobility," and U.S. Army Tank Automotive Research, Development and Engineering Center's display features alternative energy sources it has been developing.
- October 26, 2020Military to play logistics-only role in COVID-19 vaccine effort
- October 26, 2020Fort Sam Houston views heard during Army’s ‘Your Voice Matters’ listening tour
- October 27, 2020A Soldier channels resilience through cooking
- October 26, 2020Colorado Guard joins fight against East Troublesome fire
- October 23, 2020Army units innovate, find success with safe training at home stations
- October 23, 2020Project Convergence strengthens future vertical lift capabilities, leaders say
- October 23, 2020Army's top enlisted Soldier says leader involvement vital to improving Family housing
- October 26, 2020Army Financial Management Office partners with DOD for AI solutions
- October 22, 2020Top company-grade officers receive MacArthur leadership award
- October 22, 2020Fort Sill basic combat trainees issued new Army Green Service Uniforms
- October 21, 202025th ID instructor named a Facilitator of the Year
- October 22, 2020'SWAT team of nerds' tackles tough tech challenges
- October 22, 2020Soldier credits daughter for life-saving actions