New office opening for property loss claims

By Army Public AffairsJune 27, 2017

New office opening for property loss claims
(Photo Credit: U.S. Army) VIEW ORIGINAL

WASHINGTON -- The Army has created a new office at Fort Knox, Kentucky, to process Soldiers' claims for personal property losses resulting from government service.

The Center for Personnel Claims Support will be fully operational on July 5, and will process all claims of Soldiers and employees in the continental United States, Alaska, Hawaii and Puerto Rico.

The claims are known as personnel claims, and include claims for loss or damage to household goods and privately owned vehicles during permanent change of station shipment, or while stored at government expense.

Personnel claims also include loss or damage to Soldiers' personal property located in government quarters or other authorized locations, caused by events such as storms, floods or power outages.

Army civilian employees also are eligible to file personnel claims under certain circumstances.

Soldiers filing claims outside the continental United States will file their claims online, but instead of contacting the Center for Personnel Claims Support office, they will contact their local legal office for assistance in processing their claims.

The Center for Personnel Claims Support will report to the commander of the U.S. Army Claims Service at Fort Meade, Maryland, which is responsible for resolving administrative claims on behalf of the judge advocate general of the Army.

"We recognize that fairly resolving claims for personal property losses incident to service, primarily household goods, and ensuring prompt compensation, is important for the morale of our Soldiers and families," said Lt. Gen. Flora D. Darpino, the Army JAG.

"The Army has always provided the gold standard of service through the dedicated efforts of claims specialists, in and out of uniform, at our installation legal offices. But as household goods claims at installations decreased after the Department of Defense implemented the Full Replacement Value Program, we decided to continue our tradition of service using a civilian staff consolidated at one location."

In the case of household goods damaged or lost during a permanent change of station move, DOD personnel still must file their claims directly with their transportation service provider under the Full Replacement Value program.

For such claims, DD Form 1840/1840R, called the "Joint Statement of Loss or Damage at Delivery/Notice of Loss and/or Damage" form, must continue to be submitted within 75 days from the date of delivery directly to the transportation service provider.

Submitting the form does not mean that a claim has been filed. In order to get full replacement value for a loss, Soldiers and employees must file a complete claim with the transportation service provider that includes detailed information on damaged items such as the original purchase price, repair estimates, and replacement costs, within nine months from the date of delivery. That mandatory part of the claims process will not change after the Center for Personnel Claims Support is operational.

After July 5, 2017, if a transportation service provider does not act on a claim, or is unable to reach a reasonable settlement with the claimant, the Soldier or employee no longer will file the unsettled claim with their local staff judge advocate or legal office. Instead, under the new process, Soldiers and employees will file those claims online, and electronically submit required documents to the Center for Personnel Claims Support using an upgraded program called "PCLAIMS Plus."

As personnel complete their claims online, they can obtain customer service support over the web or directly from Center for Personnel Claims Support by phone or email.

It is expected that the online filing system will accelerate claims processing and also allow for quicker payment. Access to the online claims portal requires CAC access or other means of authentication for recently retired or separated personnel. Those without a CAC should call the Center for Personnel Claims Support for help in submitting their claim.

The Center for Personnel Claims team is "expertly trained and led and ready to provide outstanding service using new, unique Army-developed software and a state-of-the-art call center," Darpino said. "Working closely with Installation Management Command, we assembled a great team, drawn from claims professionals at other installations and hired from the greater Fort Knox community, which has been incredibly supportive."

All personnel in the continental United States will be able to file a claim electronically with the Center for Personnel Claims Support beginning July 5.

On that date, those who are entitled to file a claim can visit to find more information on how to file a claim. The site also includes the trifold titled "The A,B,C's of Claims." Those who want to file a claim can also call 1-502-626-3000 or DSN 536-3000 with questions, or contact the Center for Personnel Claims Support by email at

For any claims filed before July 5, or for general information, installation staff judge advocate or legal office staff will continue to provide assistance.

Related Links:

Army News Service

Soldiers online

PCLAIMS Plus website

Sign up for ARNEWS to your inbox

ARNEWS Archives