'It's my sound' Father bands with Army band for daughter's graduation
By Ms. Demetria Mosley (Fort Jackson Leader)August 18, 2016
A trumpet blares out on Fort Jackson's Hilton Field today hoping that it's tune sounds familiar to the ear of a graduating Soldier.While most families coming to graduation cheer on their new Soldier from the bleachers, Sgt. Major
Gil Hoffer, of the United States Army Band's "Pershing's Own," wanted to find a special way to celebrate his daughter completing 10 weeks of Basic Combat Training.He wanted to perform with Fort Jackson's 282nd band."When Hoffer e-mailed me asking if he could march on the field for his daughter, I said no problem. Of course," said 1st Sgt. Kristin Barrett of the 282nd Band.His daughter, Spc. Tiffany Hoffer, of Bravo Company, 1st Battalion, 61st Infantry Regiment, said her father was the biggest influence in her decision to play in an Army band."I started playing in 5th grade and he would help me," she said. "I love watching him play and hearing him."Gil and his daughter both play trumpet. The both attended Indiana University for music and both studied with classic trumpeter John Rommel.Tiffany will be playing in the Army Field Band out of Fort Meade, Maryland, which is a counterpart to
Gil's band. There will be time when the two play at the same occasions."I hope she knows it's my sound when I play. I hope she knows it's me," Gil said. "We're both musicians so I thought this was a more meaningful way to congratulate her."
- March 27, 2020Passing the torch: Army Inspector General swears in daughter
- March 27, 2020The U.S. Army Concert Band "Love and Light"
- March 25, 2020Florida National Guard's Army Band helps fight COVID-19
- March 25, 2020USAMMC-K plays key role in fight against COVID-19 in Korea
- March 11, 2020U.S. Army celebrates women's contributions and service
- March 9, 2020331st Transportation Company plays key role in Operation Deep Freeze 2020
- March 6, 2020Rape victim's counseling marked start of healing
- March 2, 2020Finance and Comptroller names first Sgt. Maj.
- March 2, 2020Finance and Comptroller field welcomes new senior enlisted advisor
- February 28, 2020Author RJ Lee to sign copies of newest book 'Playing the Devil' at Barr library March 12
- February 27, 202077th Army Band orchestrates music outreach in schools
- February 26, 2020The U.S. Army Field Band Spring Concert Tour
- February 25, 2020'African Americans were able to vote only 55 years ago' said retired 2 star at observance
- February 19, 2020FL Guard's salsa band helps marathon runners find their rhythm
- February 14, 2020Ohio native helps protect the force in the Middle East