Play Ball: Fort Bragg children enhance baseball skills
By Carrie DunganJuly 6, 2016
"Play ball!" was the refrain heard around Pope Softball Field during an event hosted by Major League Baseball, July 2. USA Baseball staff led over 200 Fort Bragg youth through several baseball-themed stations, including a home run derby, agility course and bounce ball scrimmage.The event is part of MLB's Play Ball initiative that aims to get youth involved in baseball."We are trying to get young people engaged in our sport across the country from all background and all communities and this is a great representation of that," said Tony Reagins, senior vice president for youth programs, MLB. "Being able to get the military and military families involved in our sport is truly an honor."Reagins said that the MLB hosts these events all over the country, but today is more special than usual. "This is one of the greatest give backs that you can have -- to engage military Families who have sacrificed so much for our freedom, for our country and being able to get them involved in something we are doing is truly exciting and an honor."Fort Bragg Families enjoyed their time at the event and felt that the children learned important skills for future play."It's a great event for the kids," said Mandy Davis, Family member. "The fundamentals that (my daughter's) learning -- it's hard to find coaches who teach the fundamentals anymore, so it's fun."Reagins said that the MLB hopes to come back and hold a Play Ball event on Fort Bragg again in the future."The most exciting part is when you put a bat and a ball in a young person's hand, the immediate reaction is a smile," he said. "If we can create that over and over again around the country, we think we can have an impact for many, many years to come."
- September 17, 2020Virtual Run for the Fallen a success with many participants far and wide
- September 17, 2020Apple Days: Learn all about apples with the USAG Bavaria Environmental Division
- September 17, 2020Do you have an emergency plan?
- September 16, 2020MVC delivers #HUAHousing services through COVID-19
- September 15, 2020Army Corps, SC Dept. of Natural Resources host annual hunting event for local veterans
- September 11, 2020Technology Providing Navigation in GPS-Denied Environment wins Grand Prize in xTechSearch Competition
- September 11, 2020JRTC, Fort Polk remembers events of 9-11
- September 10, 2020U.S. Army Reserve announces 2020 Best Warrior Competition Winners
- September 10, 2020Cadets explore career options during annual Branch Week event
- September 8, 2020Soldiers drill medical logistics procedures, readiness in event of conflict in Korea
- September 4, 2020NGB chief touts Soldiers and Airmen at virtual Guard event
- September 3, 2020Never pay to view live-streamed events
- August 31, 2020Two Army Reserve Soldiers Take Instructing to the Mastery Level