By U.S. ArmyJune 28, 2016
MEMORANDUM FOR PROSPECTIVE STUDENTS
SUBJECT: Student Welcome Packet, Basic Leader Course (BLC)
1. Welcome to the United States Army Alaska Noncommissioned Officer Academy, Basic Leader Course. This student guide will give you an overview of what to expect while attending BLC. I have included prescribed policies, objectives and procedures for all students to follow while attending BLC.
2. This course is non-MOS specific, taught in a Noncommissioned Officer Academy live-in environment using classroom instruction with practical application, followed by hands-on, performance-oriented training conducted in a field training environment, culminating with an extensive situational training exercise (STX). Small Group Leaders (SGLs) will assign students to leadership positions where they will lead a section/squad. SGLs will evaluate the students in their leadership abilities and how they use their troop leading procedures and other skills they learned in the course.
3. The objectives of the BLC are to graduate students who:
a. Instilling self-discipline
b. Developing professional ethics
c. Leading, disciplining, and developing Soldiers
d. Planning, executing, and evaluating individual and team training
e. Planning and executing missions and tasks assigned to team-size units
f. Caring for Soldiers and families
4. I have included support materials that are imperative to your development as a junior leader and will guide you in your success at the Basic Leader Course.
5. Again, welcome to the United States Army Alaska Noncommissioned Officer Academy, Basic Leader Course. You will find your time at the Academy personally challenging and professionally rewarding.