USAREUR to commemorate "Fall of the Wall"
By Office of the Chief of Public AffairsJune 7, 2016
HEIDELBERG, Germany-- U.S. Army Europe is launching a series of events and
initiatives to commemorate the 20th anniversary of the fall of the Berlin Wall and the
inner German border.
As part of the campaign, USAREUR will establish a You Tube site for Soldiers and
Veterans who were serving in Germany on November 9, 1989, to post videos with their
personal recollections of the events surrounding what was arguably the beginning of the
end of the Cold War.
USAREUR also plans to participate in German and U.S. commemoration events in
Washington D.C., Berlin, and across Europe. USAREUR units and leaders will also be
encouraged to conduct commemorative events at their installations November 9.
In addition, Cold War veterans currently serving in USAREUR will be available to media
outlets who wish to interview them as part of the coverage of the anniversary.
In 1989, USAREUR Soldiers were standing shoulder-to-shoulder with our NATO allies,
guarding freedom along the Iron Curtain. Although the USAREUR Area of Operations is
now much larger than in 1989, encompassing all of Europe and Eurasia, and our forces
are reduced in number, USAREUR is still working closely with our partners and allies all
across that Area of Operations. By the end of 2009, USAREUR will have conducted
more than 30 exercises with 38 nations.
- July 10, 2020USAMMC-E says farewell to retiring commander during Change of Command ceremony
- July 9, 2020Regional Health Command Europe welcomes new command team
- July 8, 2020First Outdoor Recreation trip immersive, enlightening
- July 6, 2020Garrison celebrates nation’s independence with drive-in fireworks event
- July 3, 2020America’s Pacific Division hosts National Hiring Days event
- July 2, 2020Virtual recruiting event eyes diverse talent
- July 1, 2020U.S. Army Europe tests asymptomatic staff members to promote safety, readiness
- June 30, 2020Area IV holds LGBT Pride Month event at Camp Carroll
- June 26, 2020Army leaders highlight career benefits for nationwide hiring event
- June 26, 2020Army Hiring Days: Wiesbaden ‘super recruiters’ match people across Europe with careers
- June 24, 2020Taking BLC online; Course Manager leads the way
- June 19, 2020Fort Buchanan virtual 245th Army Birthday Commemoration