Afghan National Army Lt. Col. Muhammed Ayoub, commander of 4th Kandak, 2nd Brigade, 203rd Corps, cuts a ceremonial ribbon to open the new entry control point at Afghan National Army Base Super FOB. From left, Maj. Lucas Connolly, Security Force Advise and Assist Team leader; Afghan National Army Maj. Shah Towas, and Afghan National Army Command Sgt. Maj. Gul Muhammed watch as the ribbon is cut.

FORWARD OPERATING BASE SUPER FOB, Afghanistan -- Soldiers of the engineer tolai of 4th Kandak, 2nd Brigade, 203rd Afghan National Army recently marched in formation towards a symbol of their success.

At the end of the road lay the entry control point of Paktika Province's "Super FOB."
It was once a poorly designed and poorly defended entryway into the heart of 2nd Security Forces Assistance Brigade's home base.

The gate is now flanked by twin towers reminiscent of medieval fortifications, surrounded by ear-then walls, and complete with a vehicle search lane, overwatched from two machine gun positions. But it is neither the thickness of the walls nor the imposing height of the towers that make this project significant.

What is significant about this project is that not one ounce of dirt was moved by foreign hands, not a single foreign piece of equipment was used to construct it, and every piece of material used in its construction originated in the supply yards and motor pools of the 4th Kandak.

Just before lunch, several dozen visitors, mostly ANA personnel and their advisers, assembled at the gate of Super FOB to witness its ceremonial opening and to congratulate the engineer tolai assembled there, for a job well done.

"This was their project from start to finish," said Capt. Douglas Mize, adviser to the engineer tolai. "We provided technical advice and some help with the design, but they did every bit of the work."

Afghan National Army Lt. Muhammed Eshaq, acting commander of the engineer tolai and officer in charge for the project, received a certificate of achievement for his efforts.

Proudly holding it above his head, Eshaq shouted, "For Afghanistan!"

Discounting the commonly held belief that nothing happens while the commander is away, the entire project was completed in the absence of Eshaq's commander, who was attending school at another location.

"The old entrance was no good," Eshaq said through an interpreter. "There were no walls, and you couldn't see anything from the tower. This is secure."

The 4th Kandak commander, ANA Lt. Col. Muhammed Ayoub, congratulated Eshaq after cutting the ceremonial ribbon and letting the first vehicle through the gate.

"This was all done by Afghan hands," Ayoub said. "We are grateful for our advisers, but soon we will not need them."

An Embedded Training Team from Utah assigned to Engineer Task Force Prowler, followed the project closely from design to completion. It was used as the validation operation and final assessment of the engineer tolai's capabilities.

"Simply put… we're done," said Staff Sgt. Travis Thomas, noncommissioned officer in charge of the ETT. "They're capable, they're ready. They don't need me anymore. And I'm happy to say that my team and I are going home in a few weeks."

Connolly is assigned 2nd Battalion, 15th Field Artillery Regiment, 2nd Security Forces Assistance Brigade.

Page last updated Thu April 25th, 2013 at 08:49