The North Country community will continue the year-long celebration of Fort Drum's first one hundred years June 7 with the dedication of a historical marker at Madison Barracks at Sackets Harbor and a historical music concert.
Madison Barracks is regarded as the first permanent U.S. military encampment in the North Country and was established at Sackets Harbor during the War of 1812. Sackets Harbor was formally established in 1816 as a U.S. Army installation and named "Madison Barracks" for President James Madison.
Madison Barracks served as an important U.S. Army garrison and training camp and was permanently occupied by the U.S. Army for 140 years.
In 1906, Col. Philip Reade, commander of Madison Barracks, worked with North Country community leaders to locate a new training ground that would eventually become Fort Drum.
To permanently recognize Madison Barracks' linage as the predecessor to Fort Drum, a historical marker will be placed in vicinity of the Madison Barracks parade ground flagpole to inform future visitors of the importance the site has had on the military presence in New York.
The unveiling of the historical marker will begin at 3 p.m. and will include remarks from Fort Drum and local officials. The Excelsior Cornet Band, dressed in period military uniforms, will perform 19th century music popular during Madison Barracks' heyday beginning at 5 p.m.
The public is invited to join in the celebration and are encouraged to bring folding or lawn chairs.