By U.S. ArmyOctober 9, 2012
Fort Huachuca, AZ - The US Army's Intelligence Museum opened at Fort
Huachuca with a ribbon cutting by MG Harold Aaron, the Assistant Chief
of Staff for Intelligence.
The Sphinx was moved from Fort Holabird to Fort Huachuca and took up
position in front of the museum. During the remainder of 1974, the museum
welcomed 500 guests, both civilian and military, from the surrounding
communities, around the U.S., and from foreign countries. When it opened,
the museum collection included over 400 items on display, with another 1000
items on hand to display as funds became available.
The museum closed on 24 July 1976 due to the abolishment of the museum
curator's position but was scheduled to reopen in CY77 under the control of
the Director, Directorate of Training. The artifacts were packed up, shipped back
east, and were lost as a collection.
In fact, it wasn't until 1987, the year that the MI Corps was established,
that the Chief of the MI Corps, MG Julius Parker, approved the establishment
of an MI Corps Historical Holding, the first step in creating an MI Museum.
On August 14, 1995, the former Print Plant in building 41411 was turned over
for conversion into the U.S. Army Intelligence Museum. Renovation work began
immediately with the MI Corps Association funding the work in the amount of
$20,000. It was completed in time for a 2 November opening and dedication
ceremony, presided over by BG John Smith, Deputy Commanding General, and
attended by over 200 invited dignitaries from Fort Huachuca and the local