Stitches of time and a 'Thank You' Hug
By Ms Gloria Montgomery (Army Medicine)September 22, 2011
Fort Hood Warrior Transition Brigade Soldier, Sgt. Brenda Lopez, hugs quilter Audrey Winter after accepting one of the colorful, handmade quilts from the Thank You Quilters. Looking on is Dana Stieferman, another quilter from the nonprofit group based in Georgetown, Texas. The group distributed nearly 50 quilts Sept. 21 to the wounded warriors. Each quilt represents more than 40 hours of work. Lopez, who is assigned to B Company, 1st Battalion, WTB, selected her patchwork of love because of the distinguishing star, which represents a quilt made by the Thank You Quilters. The star is from a previously flown U.S. Flag. A card detailing where the flag was flown is sewn under the star on the back of each quilt. The group received special permission to add the patriotic touch to their labors of love. Lopez, who is from Brunswick, Ga., said the quilts are 'awesome' and remind her of her grandmother's quilting. (Photo by Gloria Montgomery, WTB PAO)
- June 24, 2018The unknown road does not have to be scary
- June 20, 2018Fort Drum community honors fallen Soldiers at Mountain Remembrance Ceremony
- June 11, 2018201st EMIB Org Day a Huge Success in Part to Its Junior Enlisted Soldiers
- June 8, 2018Gold Star fathers, Families golf at Fort Benning, hold barbecue cookout
- June 8, 2018USACE Buffalo District employee raises disability awareness through volunteer work
- June 5, 2018Expanding patient care on the RTF
- June 1, 2018ARNG Talks, IPPS-A Listens
- June 1, 2018Victory Week starts tomorrow
- May 31, 2018Thousands honor fallen troops at Lee's 8th annual tribute run
- May 29, 2018"Gold Star parents remember their son"
- May 29, 2018Gold Star Service Flag dedicated at Redstone's Bicentennial Chapel
- May 29, 2018NASA set to launch first Army doctor into space
- May 24, 2018USASOC remembers fallen with outdoor ceremony
- May 24, 2018PEO Aviation dining out "An Evening Under the Stars"
- May 24, 2018Four-star looks to oath to inspire next generation
- May 24, 2018As NIE comes to an end, the JWA takes on new importance.