Reach, Throw, Row, Don't Go!
By U.S. Army Corps of EngineersFebruary 4, 2011
Someone you were with fell out of a boat without their life jacket'
Would you know what to do'
You can follow these four basics steps to help: reach, throw, row and go.
1. REACH: Hold on to the dock or your boat and reach your hand, a boat oar, a fishing pole, or whatever you have nearby, to the person
2. THROW: If you can't reach far enough, toss things that float for the person to grab
3. ROW: If you're in a boat, use the oars to move the boat closer to the person in the water, or call out to a nearby boat for help. Don't use the boat's motor close to a person in the water, they could be injured by the propeller
4. DON'T GO: Don't go into the water unless you are trained. Call out for help
Remember, even a strong swimmer can drown trying to help others. If all else fails, go for help!
- December 22, 2017Army dentist lights up community with his passion for Christmas
- December 21, 2017Fort Riley wreaths ceremony remembers lives of the fallen service members
- December 20, 2017Brothers in Green, Brothers in Arms, Brothers Bonded
- December 19, 2017Garrison looks to improve communication efforts; developing smartphone app, new website
- December 11, 2017There are many ways to motivate our Army Acquisition Workforce
- December 8, 2017California Guard provides aircraft, personnel to fight wildfires
- November 30, 2017Come as you are
- November 20, 2017Reflections as a South Carolina National Guard facility feels empty this Thanksgiving
- November 20, 2017Army's Past Conflicts Repatriation Branch ensures no Soldier left behind
- November 17, 2017Coalition forces participate in GAFPB
- November 16, 2017Cadet recognized for heroic actions during London terror attack
- November 15, 2017Army Reserve Installation Management Directorate Observes America Recycles Day
- November 14, 201725ID Tropic Lightning Week basketball tourney
- November 14, 201725th ID's Tropic Lightning Week Basketball Championship
- November 9, 2017Pain management may include many methods
- November 9, 2017Army scouts latest drone technology at SOCOM ThunderDrone event