By Mr. Matthew Montgomery (TRADOC)January 4, 2011
FORT LEE, Va. (4 Jan. 2010)- The Department of the Army G-4 and the Joint Culinary Center of Excellence at Fort Lee are proud to announce the winners of the annual Philip A. Connelly Awards Program for Excellence in Army food service.
From providing nutritional meals to creating morale boosting environments, food service professionals keep the Army rolling along. This program honors those professionals, Soldiers and Department of the Army Civilians, who rise above the standard and continually demonstrate excellence in food service.
The program is managed by the Quartermaster School's Joint Culinary Center of Excellence and co-sponsored by the International Food Service Executives Association and the Department of the Army. It is named in honor of the late Philip A. Connelly, past president of IFSEA, highly regarded as the driving force behind obtaining IFSEA sponsorship of the Department of the Army's recognition of excellence in Army food service.
The U.S. Army Joint Culinary Center of Excellence and IFSEA evaluators traveled the globe over the last few months to obtain first-hand knowledge of how Army food service personnel perform their jobs. Evaluators judged finalists in five dining facility categories - Small Garrison, Large Garrison, and field kitchens in the Active Army, U.S. Army Reserve and U.S. Army National Guard. The food service staff and their facilities were evaluated in a number of areas including preparation, food taste, nutrition, service and sanitation.
The winners and runners-up in the 43rd annual program are:
- SMALL GARRISON WINNER: Camp Zama, U.S. Army Garrison, Japan
- SMALL GARRISON RUNNER-UP: Pegasus Inn Dining Facility, 82nd Combat Aviation Brigade, 82nd Airborne Division, Fort Bragg, North Carolina
- LARGE GARRISON WINNER: Freedom Inn Dining Facility, U. S. Army Garrison, Fort Meade, Maryland
- LARGE GARRISON RUNNER-UP: Patton's Own Dining Facility, Area Support Group-Qatar, Camp As-Sayliyah, Qatar
- ACTIVE ARMY FIELD KITCHEN WINNER: 126th Transportation Company, 330th Transportation Battalion, Fort Bragg, North Carolina
- ACTIVE ARMY FIELD KITCHEN RUNNER-UP: 55th Military Police Company, 94th Military Police Battalion, Camp Stanley, Korea
- U.S. ARMY RESERVE WINNER: 824th Quartermaster Company, 362nd Quartermaster Battalion, Fort Bragg, North Carolina
- U.S. ARMY RESERVE RUNNER-UP: 1011th Quartermaster Company, 329th Combat Sustainment Support Battalion, Independence, Kansas
- U.S. ARMY NATIONAL GUARD WINNER: Support Company, 216th Engineer Battalion, Cincinnati, Ohio
- U.S. ARMY NATIONAL GUARD RUNNER-UP: Forward Support Company, 130th Engineer Battalion, Vega Baja, Puerto Rico
The food service personnel from the above mentioned units have demonstrated their ability to keep the Army Strong. They deserve special recognition for their contributions toward improving the Army's food service program and for enhancing the quality of food service for Soldiers.
The winners and runners-up will be honored later this year during the Joint Services Excellence in Food Services Awards Ceremony in Chicago.