By LTC William WigginsMay 7, 2007
- Experience the operational of Army modernization from a Soldier's perspective.
- Learn how the Army is modernizing to address rapidly emerging threat.
- See how the Army is equipping Soldiers for 21st Century battles.
What: Future Combat Systems (FCS) Mobile Demonstration Trailer and Technologies Display-a simulation-like device involving modernized Army FCS vehicles and prototype FCS capabilities.
- The Mobile Demonstration Trailer is a simulation-like device that involves modernized Army FCS vehicles. The trailer helps demonstrate the Army's innovative new fighting strategy (or network-centric concept of operations) from the perspective of a Soldier inside an FCS mounted combat system. Developed by the Army's Lead Systems Integrator (LSI), the trailer houses three mock, motion-based operator stations. These stations allows visitors to experience a simulated operation from inside a modernized FCS vehicle. Indeed, vehicle operators can drive through a simulated battlefield mission, engage targets, control an Unmanned Aerial System (UAS), and experience, firsthand, other operational benefits of improved situational awareness.
The Technologies Display will feature prototype FCS technologies and complementary systems, including the:
- Small Unmanned Ground Vehicle (SUGV)
- Class I Unmanned Aerial System (UAS)
- Unattended Ground Sensors (UGS), Tactical and Urban
- Network Battle Command
- Joint Tactical Radio Systems (JTRS)
- Army Soldiers, FCS program officials, and LSI subject matter experts will all be on hand to discuss both the Army's innovative new fighting strategy and FCS technologies.
Where: Pentagon parking lot / South Parking, between Corridors 2 and 3, behind the bus lines.
When: Tuesday, May 8, at 10:00 and 11:00 a.m. and noon. Media must RSVP for a time in the Mobile Demonstration Trailer (or simulation-like device). RSVP with Army Public Affairs Media Relations Division.
Contacts: Lieutenant Colonel William Wiggins at 703-697-7591, Mary Ann Hodges at 703-697-4314.
Background: The Army is comprehensively modernizing for the first time in decades through its Future Combat Systems (FCS) program. With FCS, the Army is integrating all of its myriad combat platforms, within a brigade combat team, to give Soldiers near real-time situational awareness.
The operational benefits of an integrated and networked fighting force are significant. An integrated and networked fighting unit gives Soldiers much greater operational effectiveness for all mission types, most notably (in light of current operations) irregular, urban warfare. Indeed, FCS vehicles will provide greater protection against Improvised Explosive Devices (IEDs) and other rapidly emerging threats.
By participating in the FCS Mobile Demonstration Trailer, reporters will experience, directly and firsthand, some of the operational benefits that FCS will provide-and, in fact, already is beginning to provide-to our Soldiers. (Early iterations of FCS technologies already are saving Soldiers' lives in Iraq and Afghanistan.)
The future is now. Live it today!