Colonel answers questions from individuals about parking at Aliamanu Military Reservation, PX and commissary privileges, and domestic violence

Q: Are there any plans to expand the parking lot at the Aliamanu Military Reservation (AMR) Chapel'

A: This is an issue that affects many of our community members and their quality of life. While the Garrison continues to do everything we can to enhance the quality of our Hawaii military community, there are no current plans to expand on the parking lot at the AMR Chapel.

There are a number of factors influencing this decision: limited space to add additional parking due to the location of the chapel (located on the side of a hill), extremely high cost associated with trying to add parking (once again due to the location and terrain), and competition with other community quality of life projects that have a higher priority.

However, there is an approved project to build a new chapel on Fort Shafter in fiscal year 2013. This will provide an additional location for religious services and community events, which should help decrease the parking congestion at AMR Chapel.

Additionally, we are planning to re-stripe the current parking lot, which will also alleviate some of the parking confusion.

Q: If my spouse deploys, can a non-military family member obtain temporary privileges during the deployment to help with commissary shopping, the PX, etc.

A: Authorized patrons are permitted to bring guests into AAFES (Army & Air Force Exchange Service) facilities or the commissary during shopping visits, although local armed forces installation commanders may prohibit guest access to either facility.

Currently, the commissary stores at Air Force and Naval bases in Hawaii do not allow guests.

As a rule, guests accompanying authorized patrons to AAFES facilities or commissary stores are not authorized to make purchases nor are patrons permitted to make purchases for their guest. However, there are exceptions.

A service member or authorized family member may designate an agent to act in his or her absence under the following conditions:

1) Single or dual military parents. A sponsor may designate a nondependent member to care for his or her dependent children while he or she is off-island because of deployment, temporary duty (TDY), permissive TDY, illness in the family, a field training exercise, etc. (In the case of dual military personnel, both parents must be off-island.)

2) Retired members, their spouses and un-remarried widows. May have an agent if they are physically debilitated and incapable of shopping for his or herself.

3) Active duty member. When documented medical conditions preclude the Soldier from shopping on his or her own behalf and no other authorized adult patron resides in the household.

4) Minor child not in custody of the service member. A divorced spouse, unmarried biological parent or individual that has legal custody of an ID card-holding minor under the age of 16 can obtain an agent card for exchange privileges only.

To designate an agent, contact the Oahu Community Director's Office, in the North at 655-0497 or in the South at 438-6996.

Q: A question was submitted to "Ask the Garrison Commander" that indicated that one of our community members was experiencing domestic violence.

A: While the question was beyond the intent of this forum, we were able to get in contact with the individual who submitted the question and provide assistance.

Aca,!AcIf you or someone you know is a victim of domestic violence, seek help.
Aca,!AcIf you are in real or immediate danger, call the Honolulu or Military Police by dialing 911.
Aca,!AcTalk to a trusted friend or relative about what is going on. Either can be a good source of support.
Aca,!AcAsk your health care provider or a friend to take photographs of your injuries and have them filed in your medical records or in a safe place.
Aca,!AcDevelop a safety plan and rehearse it often with your children.
Aca,!AcArrange a signal with a neighbor or a friend to let her or him know when you need help.
Aca,!AcCall Hawaii's Army Victim Advocacy Program at 655-1638 or 655-4227 for information and assistance, or contact a Victim Advocate 24 hours a day for emergencies and the Safe Shelter Program at 624-SAFE (624-7233).

Regardless of how an individual reaches out, we should each be willing to act.

More Information
To submit an "Ask the Commander" question, send an email to or go to the next TV2 taping Oct. 6, 3-4 p.m., at the Helemano Military Reservation community center. For more information, call Ophelia Isreal (655-9033) at Customer Management Services, or call Aiko Brum (656-3155) or Jack Wiers (656-3489) at U.S. Army Garrison-Hawaii Public Affairs.

Points of Contact
Aca,!AcCall 808-655-4227 for all Army Community Service programs.
Aca,!AcCall 808-656-0093 to reach Child and Youth Support Services.
Aca,!AcCall 808-222-7088 to reach a Military Family Life Consultant.