Army finds Pebble Mine project cannot be permitted as proposed
By U.S. Army Public AffairsAugust 24, 2020
This administration supports the mining industry and acknowledges the benefits the industry has provided to the economy and productivity of this country, from job creation to the extraction of valuable resources, which are especially important as we recover from this pandemic. The Pebble Mine project has the potential to fulfill all of those needs; however, as currently proposed, the project could have substantial environmental impacts within the unique Bristol Bay watershed and lacks adequate compensatory mitigation.Given these concerns, the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers finds under section 404 of the Clean Water Act that the project, as proposed, would likely result in significant degradation of the environment and would likely result in significant adverse effects on the aquatic system or human environment. This finding is based on factual determinations, evaluations, and tests required by subparts (b) and (g), and after consideration of subparts (c) through (f) and (h) of the 404 (b)(1) guidelines. This record is laid out in the environmental impact statement published on July 24, 2020.Therefore, the Corps finds that the project, as currently proposed, cannot be permitted under section 404 of the Clean Water Act.For more information, please contact Lt. Col. Crystal Boring, Army Public Affairs, at email@example.com.
- September 14, 2020U.S. Army STAND-TO! | Project Convergence
- September 11, 2020Army Brain Operant Learning Technology competition accepting applications until Sept. 15
- June 25, 2020Army unveils new initiative to promote diversity, inclusion across the force
- January 21, 2020U.S. Army withdraws Water Supply Rule
- October 28, 2019U.S. Army proposes innovative solution for historic housing
- September 25, 2019Army announces proposed changes to eligibility criteria for burial at Arlington National Cemetery
- September 12, 2019Department of the Army announces upcoming III Corps Headquarters deployment
- September 12, 2019Department of the Army announces upcoming XVIII Airborne Corps Headquarters deployment
- September 12, 2019Department of the Army announces III Corps deployment
- September 12, 2019Senior U.S. Army official celebrates Earth Day during kick-off for next steps of Everglades project
- September 12, 2019Department of the Army announces deployment of Fort Bragg-based units
- September 12, 2019U.S. Army releases DCGS-A Increment 2 'request for proposals'