Wagonmasters Join UMBC in Game-Day Tradition
By Spc. Calab FranklinMarch 2, 2020
BELTON, TEXAS - 1st Cavalry Division Sustainment Brigade shows up in numbers to the 2019 Annual Military Appreciation Football Game, reenlisting 22 Wagonmasters during halftime at Crusader Stadium, Belton, Texas, Nov. 9, 2019.Every year in the month of November, the University of Mary Hardin-Baylor (UMHB) hosts a military appreciation game to honor those who serve. This years game begins with a performance of the national anthem by a Wagonmaster Soldier and a coin toss by Col. Patrick A. Disney, Commander, 1st Cav. Div. Sust. Bde.."Thank you so much for opening this stadium to our troopers and our team," said Disney. "The partnership we have with the University of Mary Hardin-Baylor is pretty phenomenal."As Johnson takes the field the crown begins to shift focus to the 15-yard line. Johnson's voice brings silence to the stadium as every american in the stands honors our nation's colors, some with their hands to their hearts and others rendering salutes. Once the performance was over the air laid still for several seconds before a roar of applause thundered across the Belton community."This is an honor," said Johnson. "The fact that I am able to express my passion while still serving this country makes me extremely grateful."Leaving the audience in awe, Johnson "set the stage" for the rest of the Wagonmaster team to take their oath. It is Army tradition to conduct reenlistment ceremonies in the most unique places, these Wagonmasters decide to take their oath of selfless and honorable service on the field.
"You are making a recommitment to our nation and to the Army," said Disney. "With professionals like you who are professional, credible, reliable and disciplined in everything that you do, there is nothing we can't accomplish."Alongside the 22 Wagonmaster troopers is 10 new enlistees from the surrounding areas who would also make that same commitment. Command Sgt. Maj. Janet Thomas, 1st Cavalry Division Sustainment Brigade thanks the future Soldiers."It is a great start for you all as adults to come into the military, we appreciate what you do," said Thomas.The moment the Wagonmasters take the turf, one by one people stand up in recognition of the Soldiers.
- March 24, 2020Florida National Guard opens COVID-19 testing site at stadium
- March 10, 2020U.S. Soldiers Participate in Annual Kyiv Games
- March 9, 2020'Hockey is freedom': Army beats Navy on ice
- February 26, 20201CDSB Wagonmasters Load Up For Defender-Europe 20
- February 19, 2020Funk's Fundamentals: General Shares Life Lessons
- February 14, 2020Fort Rucker ups game in support of Aviation, quality of life for Soldiers, families
- February 14, 2020Fort Drum community members have a blast at FMWR winter party
- February 13, 2020Living the dream: How a personal past time led to the big game
- January 30, 2020West Point cadets develop first eSports club
- January 29, 2020Soldier helps pave the way in Army's first tabletop wargame team
- January 24, 2020Fort Drum gets "Hyper" with new recreational bowling system