Camp Casey charcoal briquette distribution
By Sgt. Yesenia BarajasDecember 16, 2019
CAMP CASEY, Republic of Korea - Soldiers from across U.S. Army Garrison Camp Casey came together to deliver 5,000 charcoal briquettes to neighbors outside the base December 5, Bosan-dong, Dongducheon.The charcoal briquette distribution is an annual event for soldiers of Camp Casey to be involved and assist neighbors who are in need of a way to stay warm during the winter."It shows that the United States soldiers are volunteering to help out," said Sgt. Christopher Castner, a fire support specialist assigned to Headquarters and Headquarters Battery, 210th Field Artillery Brigade, 2nd Infantry Division/ROK-U.S. Combined Division, and Gainesville, Florida, native. "It kind of helps us get good rapport with the local populace."Castner volunteered to be the noncommissioned officer in charge for the event."I think it's a good opportunity for our soldiers to get out there and meet the locals," said Castner. "It gives them the opportunity to get out and get to know the culture a little bit more."This is the seventh year the Gyeonggi Provincial Office and 210th FAB, 2ID/RUCD partnered to distribute charcoal to the locals. About 90 service members showed up to help deliver briquettes to 17 homes in Bosan-dong, Dongducheon."This is great - that the soldiers come out from their daily work, and we team up to help the people," said Maj. Michael Kim, the brigade chaplain for 210th and Riverside, California native. "To help the people in the Dongducheon City, where we live, not only did we provide our manpower, but we also donated money to buy more briquettes for this event.
- March 25, 2020USAMMC-K plays key role in fight against COVID-19 in Korea
- March 25, 2020USAISEC expertise powers cutting-edge 2nd Infantry Division cyber operations center
- March 25, 2020Camp Zama Youth Center’s Keystone Club donates canned goods
- March 23, 2020Camp Zama’s new obstacle course provides Soldiers alternate PT option
- March 20, 2020Army EOD Soldiers train with civilian counterparts at Raven’s Challenge
- March 19, 2020Women’s History Month 2020: Valiant Women of the Vote
- March 18, 2020Groundwater Restoration Goals are Achieved at Camp Edwards
- March 18, 2020U.S. Army rolls out new medical-training mannequins
- March 18, 2020Survivors find easier access to Army installations
- March 18, 2020Camp Zama housing inspectors ensure safe, clean, comfortable homes
- March 12, 2020Camp Humphreys Provost Marshal awards "Officer of the Month"
- March 12, 2020American Forces Network highlights 403rd AFSB in Korea
- March 11, 2020Nine years later, Camp Zama Soldier reflects on taking part in 'Operation Tomodachi'
- March 10, 2020Competition and camaraderie: A Best Warrior partnership
- March 5, 2020Area IV Medics Make History in Support of COVID-19
- March 4, 2020Father and son complete Norwegian Foot March together while deployed