LDAC: The Strategic Support Area's data hub
By Samantha HillNovember 18, 2019
REDSTONE ARSENAL, Ala. - The Logistics Data Analysis Center is ready to support the Strategic Support Area in Multi-Domain Operations with a new cloud-based tool to aid senior leader decision making.As of Feb. 1, the Army re-designated Logistics Support Activity to LDAC. Since then, the LDAC team has reshaped its mission to support the Army Materiel Command commander's intent."LDAC is pivoting away from its traditional role providing direct support to the tactical Army," said LDAC Director Col. Deacon Maddox. "We have a very basic end state. We want the commanding general to be able to see himself and make informed decisions."LDAC has five sections:
- Data management is responsible for the master data, everything that drives decisions in the Army.
- Strategic decision support works with large data sets to generate decision support.
- Operational decision support works with the field to generate requirements to hand off to the program management team.
- Program management writes code, developing tools and making sure systems migrate to the cloud.
- Life cycle support helps with transition to sustainment, bridging AMC and the Office of the Assistant Secretary of the Army for Acquisition, Logistics and Technology with data and publications.The organization is still evolving to support the Army's priorities. As the Program Executive Office for Enterprise Information Systems is developing the Army Vantage tool for Army senior leaders to access data, LDAC is developing a tool for AMC to manage and import data.The Strategic Support Area Business Reporting Environment tool, or SABRE, will import data into Army Vantage for Army top leaders to access information that has been quality checked by the LDAC team."SABRE is the logical next step in the way we store, manage and work with sustainment data," Maddox said. "It will not be just a warehouse, it will be a workspace where people can access and work with large sets of data to find answers and insights on their operations."The tool gives AMC and its major subordinate commands the ability to share data and solutions in one place, with common tools in a common language."It will be a place for people to input data," Maddox said. "It's a place where people will collaborate to generate informed options for leaders making a decision."As this software is being developed, LDAC is also working to improve the way data from the Army's enterprise resource planning systems connect to the Army Vantage. The team is working on connectors that will better synch ERP data to Army Vantage and SABRE, lessening the likelihood of outdated data entering the system."A key consideration for us is latency of data, and making sure everyone can access the most current data available, so that we are as close to real time as we can get with our current technology," Maddox said. "Data latency is the enemy of good decision making."Through all the changes, Maddox said the LDAC workforce sees a renewed sense of purpose."Data is the hub of everything that happens in the Strategic Support Area," Maddox said. "It goes beyond deployments. It touches every facet of what the materiel enterprise does."
- March 24, 2020Army Digital Job Book and Small Unit Leader Tool now available via personal computers and hand held
- March 11, 2020Missiles 101 informs most deployed formation
- March 5, 20201st Cavalry Division holds JCR training
- March 3, 2020Updated Unit Risk Inventory Version 3, Web Reporting Tool Released
- March 3, 2020New tool aims to expedite military evacuation of civilians during crisis
- March 2, 2020First Army Knowledge Manager Facilitates Effective Communication
- February 27, 2020Army Civilian Dedicated to Supporting Crane Army Workforce
- February 26, 2020Team Ignite, Data & Analysis Center unite Army research and concept communities through analytics
- February 25, 2020Wiesbaden parents can learn about new tools to help teachers
- February 24, 2020Electronic dashboards highlight metrics, promote transparency
- February 14, 2020Army modernizes its biometric processing capabilities
- February 13, 2020Iron Chaplains create award-winning readiness program
- February 7, 2020West Point's first deer season under antler point restriction program