By Fort Knox PAOOctober 7, 2019
* Fort Knox trick-or-treating hours will be 6-8 p.m. on Thursday, Oct. 31.
* Halloween Safety
1. Smaller children should always be accompanied by an older responsible child or an adult when trick-or-treating. Individuals should use sidewalks rather than streets when walking from house to house.
2. Children should always wear fire retardant costumes, and if wearing masks, be sure that their view is unobstructed. Reflective tape and flashlights should be used after dark to help with seeing and being seen. Costumes should be short enough to prevent children from tripping and falling. Swords, knives and similar costume accessories should be of soft or flexible material.
3. Only go to houses that are lit and be aware that pets can get excited by the bright costumes, so watch out for them. Trick-or-treaters should not enter homes or apartments unless they are accompanied by an adult.
4. Do not let children eat any of their candy until it has been inspected by parents/guardians. All unwrapped or opened candy should be discarded.
5. Those receiving trick-or-treaters should remove anything that could be an obstacle from steps, lawns and porches. Candlelit jack-o'-lanterns should be kept away from landings and doorsteps where costumes could brush against the flame. Indoor jack-o'-lanterns should be kept away from curtains, decorations or other furnishings that could be ignited.
6. Remind children to stay alert and& to report anything unusual to the police/MPs.
7. Remind children to never approach a vehicle unless they are accompanied by an adult.
*The Great Pumpkin 5K/3K Fun Run will be Oct. 19 at 10 a.m. at Eastman Park. For registration information, call 502-624-5030 or visit knox.armymwr.com.
*Pool Pumpkin Patch will be Oct. 19 from 11 a.m.-2 p.m. at Anderson Indoor Aquatics Center. Cost is $6 per person. For more information, call 502-624-6217 or visit knox.armymwr.com.
*Cosplay Craze Costume Contest will be Oct. 22 from 5:30-6:30 p.m. at Barr Memorial Library. For more information, call 502-624-1232 or visit knox.armymwr.com.
*Devers Pumpkin Carving will be Oct. 25 from 5-7 p.m. at Devers Middle School and Teen Center. Cost is $2 per person. For more information, call 502-624-6442 or visit knox.armymwr.com.
* Halloween themed Thrill Ride will be Oct. 26, from 9-10 a.m. at Gammon Fitness. Cost is $4 per person. For more information, call 502-624-4033 or visit knox.armymwr.com.
*Zumba Halloween Party will be Oct. 26 from 10 a.m. to 12 p.m. at the Sadowski Center. Cost is $5 per person. For more information, call 502-624-8180 or visit knox.armymwr.com.
*Halloween Extravaganza will be Oct. 26 at the Fort Knox Main Exchange. Events begin at 11 a.m. For more information, call 502-942-0067 ext. 215.
*"Balloween" Halloween will be Oct. 30 at Caruso Youth Sports and Fitness complex. For more information, call 502-624-4747/3025 or visit knox.armymwr.com.
* Jinkies! Ghost Pirate Party Crashers will be Oct. 31 from 4-5 p.m. at Barr Memorial Library. For more information, call 502-624-1232 or visit knox.armymwr.com.
*Spooky Safe Giveaway for Knox Hills residents on Oct. 31 from 4:30-5:30 p.m. at both the Oak Park and North/South Dietz Community Centers.