TACOM prepares to equip Army units for new fitness test
By Mr. Scott Wakefield (TACOM)January 17, 2020
The U.S. Army Tank-automotive and Armaments Command's Soldier Product Support Integration Directorate out of Natick, Mass. is ready to start fielding the equipment for the new Army Combat Fitness Test.The Army is expecting to replace the Army Physical Fitness Test with the ACFT by Oct. 1, 2020. The ACFT is more aligned to the physical requirements needed in combat by military units, making the unit more combat ready and making the soldier more physically ready. The test is also expected to cut down on injuries and decrease accession losses when compared to the APFT.Select units within the Army are currently testing the ACFT in Phase 1 to provide guidance and recommendations for adjustments to future test requirements.
The Army wanted to have all units equipped by Oct. 1 to start Phase 2. However, the contract is currently under protest which will push the Phase 2 fielding deadline. Soldier PSID Director, Joseph Cooper said, "my team is ready to implement the program as soon as the products are ready to ship."Soldier PSID will team up with TACOM's Material Fielding and Training and the Defense Contract Management Agency to field the gear to active duty, reserve, and guard units around the world. Cooper went on to say, "we have a good fielding plan lined up."Copper's team will end up supplying 36,608 lanes of gear for the ACFT to all commands around the world. The branch chief for the ACFT mission, Sean O' Donohue, says, "once the fielding starts, we will do it in an equitable manner." He went on to explain that all units will be treated equally, depending on mission requirement, and that active duty units will not necessarily take precedent.
Once the fielding begins, Soldier PSID plans to equip Army units by region and units outside of a particular region may receive priority depending on the circumstances.
- January 29, 2021U.S. Army STAND-TO! | Dragon’s Lair Program
- October 13, 2020National Museum of the United States Army to open Veterans Day 2020
- September 24, 2020Army announces upcoming 2nd BCT, 10th Mountain Division, unit rotation
- September 24, 2020Army announces upcoming 1st ABCT, 3rd Infantry Division unit rotation
- September 24, 2020Army announces upcoming 1st ABCT, 1st Cavalry Division, unit rotation
- July 10, 2020Secretary of the Army announces independent review of Fort Hood
- June 25, 2020Army announces selection of interim C-sUAS systems
- June 12, 2020245th Army Birthday message from the Army Senior Leaders
- April 23, 2020Army announces upcoming 101st Airborne Division Combat Aviation Brigade, unit rotation
- April 23, 2020Army announces upcoming 4th Security Forces Assistance Brigade, unit rotation
- April 23, 2020Army announces upcoming 4th Infantry Division Combat Aviation Brigade, unit rotation
- April 23, 2020Army announces upcoming 2nd BCT, 82nd Airborne Division, unit rotation
- April 23, 2020Army announces upcoming 2nd BCT, 1st Armored Division, unit rotation
- April 23, 2020Army announces upcoming 2nd ABCT, 3rd Infantry Division, unit rotation
- April 23, 2020Army announces upcoming 1st Cavalry Division Headquarters, unit rotation
- April 16, 2020National Museum of the United States Army to delay June 2020 opening