Eighth Army Safety Gram - Chuseok Holiday
By Eighth ArmyAugust 29, 2019
What is Chuseok?Chuseok, also known as Korean Thanksgiving Day, is an important holiday celebrated on the ninth month of the lunar calendar this year. On the days before and after Chuseok Koreans return to their ancestral hometowns to pay respects and celebrate with family. The travel causes one of the biggest traffic jams of the year as people often take the roads to reach the areas outside of Seoul.Safety Hazards and Concerns:- Understand the elevated risk of traffic hazards during this time period, major intersections/highways will be extremely congested.
- Monitor the road conditions, and if travelling outside of Seoul, be prepared to be stopped in traffic for long periods of time.
- When making travel arrangements, plan ahead and conduct Preventative Maintenance Checks and Services (PMCS) prior to departure.
- Keep a Warning Triangle and Emergency First Aid Kit in your vehicle.
- Look for alternative methods of travel such as Public Transportation (Train, Subway or Bus).
- Minimize all tactical vehicle movement during the holiday period.2019 Chuseok Holiday Road Condition Matrix- GREEN: Highway conditions are normal.
- AMBER: Military vehicles, other than those required for essential business, will not be driven on highways. POV owners need to use extreme caution and are encouraged to observe the rules established for military vehicles. Commanders in the rank of O-3 or GS-10 may authorize mission on back of dispatch.
- RED: Military vehicles, other than those designated as on emergency/essential business, will not be driven. O-5 / GS-13 or above may authorize usage for business that cannot be postponed without jeopardizing military requirements. Back side of dispatch must be signed by person authorizing mission.
- BLACK: All U.S. Government vehicles are prohibited from movement. Commanders in the rank of O-6 and above must personally authorize the use of emergency vehicles after the appropriate risk assessment and mitigation actions are considered.
- August 7, 2020Robotic combat vehicles display next-gen features in live-fire exercises
- August 6, 2020Barr library’s Authors at Your Library series will return Aug. 20 in virtual format
- July 30, 2020Fort Sill Soldiers respond to vehicle fire on interstate
- July 28, 2020Researchers improve human-AI interaction for combat vehicles
- July 23, 2020Army prototypes IVAS network capabilities for tactical vehicles
- July 22, 2020Crisis Response | Mortuary Affairs Troops Provide Support to Civil Authorities During COVID-19
- July 17, 2020Army releases draft RFP for OMFV Preliminary Digital Design phase
- July 17, 2020Depot deployments provide global warfighter readiness
- July 16, 2020Army awards contract for Hybrid Electric prototype
- July 16, 2020Army Preparing to Field New Capability Sets
- July 16, 2020Public Notice for Position Being Filled Under Direct Hire Authority : Acquisition Operations Director
- July 15, 2020Public Notice for Position Being Filled Under Direct Hire Authority: Acquisition Analyst
- July 15, 2020Public Notice for Position Being Filled Under Direct Hire Authority: General Engineer