Preliminary tests at USAG Bavaria reveal no environmental hazards
By USAG Bavaria Environmental Division StaffFebruary 6, 2019
GRAFENWOEHR, Germany -- Under the Final Governing Standards for Germany, recent tests performed in U.S. Army Garrison Bavaria in 2018 show results are clear of lead-based paint, asbestos and lead in drinking water for family housing and unit facilities.USAG Bavaria and other U.S. Army Garrisons across Germany follow the Final Governing Standards for Germany to perform routine testing of lead-based paint, asbestos and lead in drinking water in housing and unit facilities on military installations.In addition to routine testing, Headquarters Department of the Army has established a testing program for homes that exceed the requirements of the Final Governing Standards for Germany.Currently, 10 percent of buildings have been completed, with the remaining 90 percent of testing to be finalized based on upcoming funding and guidance from Installation Management Command.All tests which result in exceeding value limits for lead and asbestos will be set for immediate retesting and corrective action.Housing units and facilities occupied by children 6 or younger are prioritized through the Army's lead-based paint management program, asbestos management program and drinking water program.Landlords of private rental housing are required by law to ensure houses are clear of lead in paint and water, according to the USAG Bavaria Housing Office.The U.S. Federal Government banned lead-based paint from use in housing in 1978. Therefore, houses built before 1978 may contain some level of lead-based paint. Lead-based paint is not hazardous if it is contained under other coats of paint. However, if it is peeling, cracking, stripped or otherwise disturbed, it can be harmful if ingested.According to the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency, asbestos is a naturally occurring mineral in rock and soil, utilized in building construction materials. Exposure may occur only when the asbestos-containing material is disturbed or damaged in some way to release particles and fibers into the air.To learn more about these tests, sample reports and how to protect yourself, please visit the USAG Bavaria website.
- June 3, 2020Camp Zama fights COVID-19 inactivity with socially distanced ‘dinosaur hunt’
- May 29, 2020AMC leads Army in diversifying civilian workforce
- May 29, 2020Inspector General and Deputy lead ROTC commissioning ceremonies
- May 28, 2020Lean in action: Cleaning, Painting, Finishing Div.
- May 27, 2020New COVID-19 roadside advisories help assess risk when traveling off-post
- May 22, 2020MWR highlights Phase 1 open establishments
- May 21, 2020Housing briefings guide Soldiers ‘home’
- May 20, 2020USAG Bavaria MWR serves up socially distanced fun at the drive-in
- May 19, 2020Knox Hills delivers self-help response to residents needing routine maintenance
- May 19, 2020Housing resident’s garden vision blossoms into reality
- May 15, 2020Garrison Housing Office saves Soldiers money, sanity
- May 15, 2020Housing Work Order submission now online
- May 12, 2020Bellwood Manor House set for $3.28M renovation