By Dani JohnsonMarch 30, 2018
RICHMOND, Va. -- U.S. Army Combined Arms Support Command (CASCOM) commemorated the birthday of the 10th President of the United States, John Tyler, with a wreath-laying ceremony Mar. 29 at the president's gravesite, Hollywood Cemetery, Richmond.
During the ceremony, Brig. Gen. Jeffrey W. Drushal, commandant, U.S. Army Transportation School, spoke and along with Sgt. Maj. Eddie R. Camp, Transportation School proponent sergeant major, laid a wreath at the base of the monument honoring the president.
"On the 228th anniversary of the birth of President John Tyler, we pause to honor a leader and a legacy," the general said to a gathering of Tyler descendants and guests. "He always answered the call to service whether it was in the military, the Virginia Commonwealth or for the nation."
CASCOM and the U.S. Army were designated by the White House to conduct the wreath laying for Tyler who was born in 1790 in Charles City County, Virginia. U.S. Army Quartermaster School did the planning and logistics for the event.
According to the White House website, Tyler became after President William Henry Harrison died in April 1841. He was the first Vice President to succeed to the Presidency after the death of his predecessor.
Initially, the White House Military Office was responsible for coordinating the annual placement of Presidential Wreaths at the tombs and resting places of former Presidents, other famous Americans and at certain memorials of historical significance (e.g., Benjamin Franklin, Tomb of the Unknown Soldier, Mast of the USS Maine, Spanish War Memorial, Pan Am Flight 103 Memorial).
Prior to August 1966, there was no formal process for building and maintaining a list of recognized sites. President Franklin D. Roosevelt started the practice of having military representatives place wreaths on his behalf at areas outside the Washington, D.C. area. Ceremonies that were repeated year-to-year led to the development of the "President's Approved Wreath List" ... approved by President Johnson on August 11, 1966, and further expanded with the passing of each former President.