Drown Proofing Saves Lives.
By Sgt. 1st Class Charles HighlandAugust 23, 2017
ARABIAN GULF -- While at sea the words "abandon ship" can create fear and panic. This is why reactive training and safety drills are key elements to the training of Soldiers from the 371st Sustainment Brigade, 411th Transportation Detachment as well as Soldiers from Area Support Group (ASG) -- Kuwait. Troops from the 411th Trans. Det. and ASG-Kuwait conducted Drown Proofing practice on U.S. Army Vessel (USAV) Major General Charles P. Gross (LSV-5) August 17, 2017.
Drown Proofing is an annual requirement for Army watercraft operations. While holding their nose and collar Soldiers leap into the water from a height of 15 to 18 feet; crossing their legs to streamline their bodies before breaking the surface. After entry they react for potential oil fires by pushing surface water from their face.
"Once you are in the water it could be for an extended amount of time and this class teaches energy conservation, surviving and getting someone to rescue you," said Sergeant First Class James Brogan, a 411th Trans. Det. Sergeant aboard the LSV-5.
The rescue floats are deployed so Soldiers can climb aboard and feel confident these rafts can help them survive. The training also teaches Soldiers to use parts of the uniform to stay afloat while waiting for rescue.
"I learned it was a lot harder then what you see on TV. I really enjoyed the jump because it was so exciting, using the uniform to stay afloat was tough but I would do it again to get better," said Private First Class Alexander Provenzano a medic with ASG-Kuwait.
Each Soldier was required to perform each task which also included floating and learning how to conserve energy in the water without a floatation device.
"We want them to be more comfortable and proficient if something was to happen," said Brogan. "I want them to just react with these skills, know what to do and get over their fears."
- August 13, 2020The 42nd Infantry Division and 103 Years of Service
- August 5, 2020Spartan Doctors Continue to Fight Against COVID-19
- August 5, 2020MP’s Deployed to KSA Certify to Enforce the Law
- July 9, 2020Army Corps of Engineers reports an increase in adult drowning at its lake and river projects this summer
- July 7, 2020Class 27-09 Graduates eBLC
- July 6, 2020Army adapts NCO education in response to pandemic
- June 22, 2020Despite COVID-19, deployed Soldiers graduate from basic leaders course
- June 17, 2020Deployed officer sees newborn via smartphone
- June 4, 2020Modern Day “Rosie the Riveter”
- June 4, 202042nd Infantry Division Soldiers reunite in Kuwait
- May 28, 2020Army Reserve Soldier honors and continues grandfather's legacy
- May 28, 2020First DoD medical personnel licensed to practice in Kuwait
- May 8, 2020Old contracting tool leads to new successes in Kuwait