Drown Proofing Saves Lives.
By Sgt. 1st Class Charles HighlandAugust 23, 2017
ARABIAN GULF -- While at sea the words "abandon ship" can create fear and panic. This is why reactive training and safety drills are key elements to the training of Soldiers from the 371st Sustainment Brigade, 411th Transportation Detachment as well as Soldiers from Area Support Group (ASG) -- Kuwait. Troops from the 411th Trans. Det. and ASG-Kuwait conducted Drown Proofing practice on U.S. Army Vessel (USAV) Major General Charles P. Gross (LSV-5) August 17, 2017.
Drown Proofing is an annual requirement for Army watercraft operations. While holding their nose and collar Soldiers leap into the water from a height of 15 to 18 feet; crossing their legs to streamline their bodies before breaking the surface. After entry they react for potential oil fires by pushing surface water from their face.
"Once you are in the water it could be for an extended amount of time and this class teaches energy conservation, surviving and getting someone to rescue you," said Sergeant First Class James Brogan, a 411th Trans. Det. Sergeant aboard the LSV-5.
The rescue floats are deployed so Soldiers can climb aboard and feel confident these rafts can help them survive. The training also teaches Soldiers to use parts of the uniform to stay afloat while waiting for rescue.
"I learned it was a lot harder then what you see on TV. I really enjoyed the jump because it was so exciting, using the uniform to stay afloat was tough but I would do it again to get better," said Private First Class Alexander Provenzano a medic with ASG-Kuwait.
Each Soldier was required to perform each task which also included floating and learning how to conserve energy in the water without a floatation device.
"We want them to be more comfortable and proficient if something was to happen," said Brogan. "I want them to just react with these skills, know what to do and get over their fears."
- June 4, 2020Modern Day “Rosie the Riveter”
- June 4, 202042nd Infantry Division Soldiers reunite in Kuwait
- May 28, 2020Army Reserve Soldier honors and continues grandfather's legacy
- May 28, 2020First DoD medical personnel licensed to practice in Kuwait
- May 11, 2020NY Army National Guard helicopter crews conduct water bucket training
- May 11, 2020NY National Guard preparing for Lake Ontario flooding
- May 8, 2020Old contracting tool leads to new successes in Kuwait
- May 7, 2020New Mexico National Guard delivers water by the truckload
- May 1, 2020Deployed Guard Soldiers mark Dachau liberation with WWII vets
- April 29, 2020The dos and don’ts of snake safety
- April 23, 2020Army announces upcoming 2nd BCT, 1st Armored Division, unit rotation
- April 20, 2020Army civilian writer doubles as scientific diver
- April 14, 2020Deployment Readiness Includes Employment: Employed Troops Essential to Strategic Readiness