Liberty Fest: Celebrating Our Nation's Independence
By Soh, Jung-hanJuly 18, 2017
USAG DAEGU, South Korea -- Every year on July 4, Americans celebrate the federal holiday "Independence Day" or "Fourth of July" which is to commemorate the adoption of the Declaration of Independence, a historic document drafted by Thomas Jefferson, July 4, 1776. From that day to the present, the Fourth of July has been celebrated as the birth of American independence with food, concerts, games and fireworks.
Here in Daegu, South Korea, about 6,900 miles away from the Independence Hall in Philadelphia, Pennsylvania, we still celebrate our nation's independence no matter how far we are from the country. United States Army Garrison Daegu Liberty Fest 2017 took place at Camp Walker Post Exchange Parking Lot, July 4, 2017. USAG Daegu and Area IV community came out and enjoyed the Fourth of July festival with various community games such as Bungee Jumper, Viking Pirate Ship, Happy Valley Train and Mechanical Bull. Child and Youth Service Band, Lance Reegan-Diehl Band also performed a concert to celebrate Liberty Fest.The grand finale of Liberty Fest 2017 was the fireworks. One of the biggest differences between last year and this year is that there were fireworks this year. Since July is the monsoon season in South Korea, last years' fireworks were cancelled. Even worse, because of the heavy rain of the last few days before the festival, this year's Liberty Fest was on pending until morning. The festival and fireworks were successful despite little amount of rain.
- September 25, 2020U.S. Army STAND-TO! | STARRS - Longitudinal Study
- August 31, 2020Fort Hood Independent Review Committee members arrive at Fort Hood
- August 17, 2020Fort Hood independent review committee members sworn in
- July 30, 2020Army announces panel for Fort Hood independent review
- July 20, 2020Secretary of the Army appoints two new civilian aides
- July 10, 2020Secretary of the Army announces independent review of Fort Hood
- June 22, 2020Army releases results of Fall 2019 housing surveys
- September 12, 2019Army releases results of 2019 housing surveys
- September 12, 2019JULY 2017 ASSIGNMENTS Nominative Sergeants Major Assignments
- September 12, 2019Pentagon Hall of Heroes Induction Ceremony for Lt. Col. Charles S. Kettles