Over there! A Celebration of the WWI Soldier
By U.S. ArmyJune 12, 2017
WASHINGTON - The Headquarters, Department of the Army, will celebrate the U.S. Army birthday on Thursday at 11:30 a.m. in the Pentagon courtyard.
The Acting Secretary of the Army, Robert M. Speer, will host a birthday cake cutting ceremony to celebrate 242 years of selfless service to our Nation.
The theme for this year's observance is 'Over There! A Celebration of the WWI Soldier,' which commemorates the World War I centennial and the Army's role in supporting that conflict. It was 100 years ago that the United States formed the American Expeditionary Forces and joined its allies to fight in WWI. The ceremony will serve as a time to recognize and remember the contributions of the more than two million Soldiers who served and honor the service and sacrifices of the more than 300,000 killed, wounded or captured while serving overseas.
Media interested in attending this event may contact Valerie L. Mongello, Army public affairs, at 703-693-7136 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
For more information about the history of the Army and Army birthday events around the world, visit https://www.army.mil/1775/.
- October 10, 2017Army helps unveil WWI commemorative coin
- October 6, 2017National Guard's Youth ChalleNGe program celebrates 25 years, more than 150,000 graduates
- October 6, 2017'Show some love' to charities by donating to CFC
- October 5, 2017Presidential Rank awardees save Army $20 billion
- October 5, 2017'A great time' -- Fort Rucker Oktoberfest delivers fun, food, music, fireworks
- October 5, 2017MP Regiment celebrates 76 years
- October 5, 2017U.S. Army Garrison Yongsan honors Vietnam veterans
- October 4, 2017Chuseok, celebration of bountiful harvest
- October 4, 2017Guard history showcased in Pentagon corridor
- October 2, 2017"We are Ready": Army Physician Assistants Tip of the Spear in Army Medicine's Vision and Mission
- October 2, 2017Army Public Health Center holds 75th Anniversary Celebration
- September 27, 2017Blue Grass Army Depot Employee Receives Pentagon Recognition
- September 22, 2017Former CGs, CSMs celebrate INSCOM's 40th Anniversary
- September 21, 2017SMDC celebrates 60 years of space and missile defense excellence
- September 21, 2017Workhorse Battalion at Fort Drum celebrate 60 years
- September 21, 2017Fort Drum celebrates Hispanic Heritage Month