Over there! A Celebration of the WWI Soldier
By U.S. ArmyJune 12, 2017
WASHINGTON - The Headquarters, Department of the Army, will celebrate the U.S. Army birthday on Thursday at 11:30 a.m. in the Pentagon courtyard.
The Acting Secretary of the Army, Robert M. Speer, will host a birthday cake cutting ceremony to celebrate 242 years of selfless service to our Nation.
The theme for this year's observance is 'Over There! A Celebration of the WWI Soldier,' which commemorates the World War I centennial and the Army's role in supporting that conflict. It was 100 years ago that the United States formed the American Expeditionary Forces and joined its allies to fight in WWI. The ceremony will serve as a time to recognize and remember the contributions of the more than two million Soldiers who served and honor the service and sacrifices of the more than 300,000 killed, wounded or captured while serving overseas.
Media interested in attending this event may contact Valerie L. Mongello, Army public affairs, at 703-693-7136 or email@example.com.
For more information about the history of the Army and Army birthday events around the world, visit https://www.army.mil/1775/.
- December 7, 2017Thanksgiving brings joy to patients, staff
- December 7, 2017National Native American Heritage Month celebrates unity, service
- December 7, 2017JMTG-U Honors Ukrainian Armed Forces Day with Ambulance Turnover Ceremony
- December 7, 2017Gen. Lengyel pens letter for Guard's 381st anniversary
- December 6, 2017Stewart celebrates season with holiday Tree Lighting
- December 6, 2017Fort Benning remains committed to Gold Star Families through special Christmas luncheon
- December 5, 2017SMDC hosts Team Redstone National American Indian Heritage Month Observance
- December 4, 2017"Wave of Light" to support those experiencing loss
- December 1, 20172-1 ADA celebrates National American Indian Heritage Month
- December 1, 2017Personal interests draw AMCOM director into retirement
- November 30, 2017Soldiers, retirees celebrate Thanksgiving
- November 30, 2017'Tis the Season
- November 30, 2017Holiday gift giving at work
- November 29, 2017U.S. Army Yuma Proving Ground to celebrate 75th anniversary
- November 29, 2017Garrison Wiesbaden community celebrates Native American Heritage Month
- November 28, 2017The ORSA Hall of Fame Celebrates New Inductee