Over there! A Celebration of the WWI Soldier
By U.S. ArmyJune 12, 2017
WASHINGTON - The Headquarters, Department of the Army, will celebrate the U.S. Army birthday on Thursday at 11:30 a.m. in the Pentagon courtyard.
The Acting Secretary of the Army, Robert M. Speer, will host a birthday cake cutting ceremony to celebrate 242 years of selfless service to our Nation.
The theme for this year's observance is 'Over There! A Celebration of the WWI Soldier,' which commemorates the World War I centennial and the Army's role in supporting that conflict. It was 100 years ago that the United States formed the American Expeditionary Forces and joined its allies to fight in WWI. The ceremony will serve as a time to recognize and remember the contributions of the more than two million Soldiers who served and honor the service and sacrifices of the more than 300,000 killed, wounded or captured while serving overseas.
Media interested in attending this event may contact Valerie L. Mongello, Army public affairs, at 703-693-7136 or email@example.com.
For more information about the history of the Army and Army birthday events around the world, visit https://www.army.mil/1775/.
- August 20, 2018Benning's 1-507th Parachute Infantry Regiment, Liberty Jump Team celebrate Airborne Day
- August 17, 2018Lawton-Fort Sill Veterans Centers celebrates vet's 100th birthday
- August 16, 2018Rediscovering Fort Knox: Fort Knox celebrates first-ever Armored Conference with full fanfare one ye
- August 13, 2018First Army celebrates 100 years of history
- August 10, 2018Fort Drum residents celebrate community spirit, partnership with first responders at National Night
- August 9, 2018Field artillery warrants celebrate specialty's birthday
- August 9, 2018Marine Corps Scholarship Foundation celebrates record-breaking year of educating Marine children
- August 2, 2018Baseball club helps post celebrate major milestone
- August 1, 2018Happy birthday, Coast Guard
- August 1, 2018Fort Riley celebrates chaplaincy's 243 year-old legacy
- August 1, 2018Fort Eustis celebrates centennial with community
- July 31, 2018Celebrating 243 years
- July 31, 2018Kandahar Airfield celebrates warrant officer 100th birthday
- July 26, 2018Warrant officers hold centennial celebration
- July 25, 2018Mounted WWI artillery re-enactors thrill Wyoming audiences
- July 19, 2018Patient celebrates his 101st birthday with Tripler Army Medical Center