Over there! A Celebration of the WWI Soldier
By U.S. ArmyJune 12, 2017
WASHINGTON - The Headquarters, Department of the Army, will celebrate the U.S. Army birthday on Thursday at 11:30 a.m. in the Pentagon courtyard.
The Acting Secretary of the Army, Robert M. Speer, will host a birthday cake cutting ceremony to celebrate 242 years of selfless service to our Nation.
The theme for this year's observance is 'Over There! A Celebration of the WWI Soldier,' which commemorates the World War I centennial and the Army's role in supporting that conflict. It was 100 years ago that the United States formed the American Expeditionary Forces and joined its allies to fight in WWI. The ceremony will serve as a time to recognize and remember the contributions of the more than two million Soldiers who served and honor the service and sacrifices of the more than 300,000 killed, wounded or captured while serving overseas.
Media interested in attending this event may contact Valerie L. Mongello, Army public affairs, at 703-693-7136 or email@example.com.
For more information about the history of the Army and Army birthday events around the world, visit https://www.army.mil/1775/.
- June 14, 2019Fort Knox celebrates Army's 244th Birthday with a blend of traditional, unconventional elements
- June 14, 2019The NCOL CoE and USASMA celebrate a new path of education
- June 14, 2019Oldest living American WWII veteran celebrates 95th birthday in Belgium
- June 14, 2019PEO IEW&S celebrates Army Birthday with Perry Point VA Medical Facility
- June 13, 2019101st Airborne Division and Fort Campbell Celebrate Army's 244th Birthday
- June 12, 2019As Army turns 244 years old, lessons of D-Day still relevant today
- June 11, 2019Army Child and Youth Services celebrates 40 years of its 'Journey to Excellence'
- June 10, 2019Fort Drum graduates celebrate academic achievements
- June 7, 2019Fort Leonard Wood celebrates Asian American, Pacific Islander Heritage Month
- June 7, 2019Post celebrates birthday with fireworks, live music
- June 6, 2019Observances celebrate Asian-Pacific heritage
- June 5, 2019Young, Old, and Restless: Army Reserve marches into its 111th Birthday
- June 3, 2019Fort Knox celebrates 244th Army birthday with a variety of community events June 14
- May 29, 2019BAMC celebrates Asian American Pacific Islander heritage
- May 22, 2019Dragon Fighters celebrate mission enablers
- May 16, 2019Soldiers celebrate 158 years - Infantry regiment highlights legacy