Memorial Day, Remember the Sacrifice
By Intern Shin, Hyo-juJune 5, 2017
USAG DAEGU -- Memorial Day is a Federal holiday in United States of America, and it represents a day to remember the individual soldiers and leaders that have sacrificed their lives in support of our country's constitution. This Memorial Day is observed annually on the last Monday of May."We should take time to thank the individuals for their sacrifices and what they've done in making the ultimate sacrifice to defend the United States constitution," said Command Sgt. Maj. Juan A. Abreu, United States Army Garrison Daegu Command Sergeant Major.Memorial Day was originally known as Decoration Day because it set aside a time to honor the nation's Civil War dead by decorating their graves. It originated in the years following the Civil War and became an official Federal holiday in 1971.Sometimes, Memorial Day is confused with Veterans Day. Memorial Day is about memorializing and remembering the soldiers who have passed away. But Veterans Day is dedicated to celebrate the service of members of the military that are veterans. They successfully served in the military and now no longer wear a uniform."To me the Memorial Day is, remembering that our life is valuable and the people voluntarily have given their life for me and us to be able to do what it is I do for our military," said Abreu. "It allows me to be a father, it allows me to be a husband, or it is the commitment of sacrifice that someone did for my freedom."
- March 26, 2020Michigan National Guard screens for COVID-19 at veterans' home
- March 25, 2020Soldiers take time to help homeless veterans
- March 24, 20204-39 holds memorial for fallen trainee
- March 20, 20201CD Command team address COVID-19
- March 20, 20201CD Command Team address COVID-19
- March 12, 2020American Forces Network highlights 403rd AFSB in Korea
- March 11, 2020Bataan Memorial Death March Cancelled
- March 11, 2020U.S. Army celebrates women's contributions and service
- March 11, 2020Nine years later, Camp Zama Soldier reflects on taking part in 'Operation Tomodachi'
- March 6, 2020'Victims suffer, survivors speak'
- March 6, 2020Fort Stewart, Hunter leaders honor, inform retirees
- March 2, 2020Chicagoland Soldiers and Veterans rally around all-female Honor Flight announcement
- February 29, 20209th Mission Support Command volunteers at Special Olympics Basketball Tournament