Army Soldier Earns Medal of Honor for Vietnam Valor
By Mr. Paul Boyce (FORSCOM)February 9, 2007
The White House announced today, Feb. 9, that President George W. Bush will present the Medal of Honor to Army veteran Bruce P. Crandall in recognition of his valor at Landing Zone X-Ray during the Battle of Ia Drang in Vietnam.
Crandall, who will receive the Medal of Honor during a White House ceremony Feb. 26, will be recognized for repeatedly flying to a landing zone under intense enemy fire to rescue and re-supply 1st Cavalry Division ground Soldiers. Even after the landing zone closed, Crandall, then a major, led two aircraft into the area on medical evacuation and re-supply missions, transporting more than 70 wounded Soldiers to safety.
The Army will honor Crandall at a Pentagon ceremony Feb. 27 at 2 p.m. at the Pentagon's Hall of Heroes.
For more information, visit www.army.mil/medalofhonor/crandall for more information on the Medal of Honor, background on Crandall's bravery, and the event for which Crandall was recognized for his bravery.
- 30 -
- June 21, 2018Government service honored during Rock Island Arsenal Retirement Ceremony
- June 20, 2018Fort Drum community honors fallen Soldiers at Mountain Remembrance Ceremony
- June 19, 2018Signed. Sealed. Delivered - Team Army brings home third straight gold medal in wheelchair basketball
- June 18, 2018'Big Red One' honors outgoing commander, welcomes new senior leader back to Fort Riley
- June 16, 2018Premier teaching hospital in the Pacific honors their 2018 "grads"
- June 15, 2018Landing Zone open for business despite renovations
- June 14, 2018119 International Students receive honors from U.S. Army Command and General Staff College
- June 14, 2018Army's Senior Leaders honor the fallen on the 243rd Army Birthday
- June 14, 2018Honor, integrity on and off the trail
- June 13, 2018Ceremony honors 233 graduating residents, fellows
- June 13, 2018U.S. Park Police honor the fallen
- June 12, 2018Bavery honored by AMC for munitions transportation efforts
- June 12, 2018U.S. Army Garrison Rheinland-Pfalz honors host nation officials
- June 7, 2018Medal of Honor Recipient to visit Madigan June 27
- June 7, 2018Purple Heart honors EOD Soldier's service, sacrifice
- June 7, 2018Hawaii Guardsmen on duty in volcano zone to help fellow citizens