Army Soldier Earns Medal of Honor for Vietnam Valor
By Mr. Paul Boyce (FORSCOM)February 9, 2007
The White House announced today, Feb. 9, that President George W. Bush will present the Medal of Honor to Army veteran Bruce P. Crandall in recognition of his valor at Landing Zone X-Ray during the Battle of Ia Drang in Vietnam.
Crandall, who will receive the Medal of Honor during a White House ceremony Feb. 26, will be recognized for repeatedly flying to a landing zone under intense enemy fire to rescue and re-supply 1st Cavalry Division ground Soldiers. Even after the landing zone closed, Crandall, then a major, led two aircraft into the area on medical evacuation and re-supply missions, transporting more than 70 wounded Soldiers to safety.
The Army will honor Crandall at a Pentagon ceremony Feb. 27 at 2 p.m. at the Pentagon's Hall of Heroes.
For more information, visit www.army.mil/medalofhonor/crandall for more information on the Medal of Honor, background on Crandall's bravery, and the event for which Crandall was recognized for his bravery.
- 30 -
- March 19, 2019Army honors excellence in contracting
- March 18, 2019Honoring the blood, sweat, tears of our fallen
- March 4, 20192018 Team McChord Annual Awards announces best of the best
- February 28, 2019HHB, 29th ID troops take top honors at Virginia National Guard Best Warrior Competition
- February 27, 2019Minneapolis resident selected as Civilian Aide to the Secretary of the Army
- February 25, 2019African-American Medal of Honor recipient is Black History Month speaker at Fort Benning
- February 22, 2019FORSCOM Frontline - Feb. 22, 2019
- February 22, 2019Ukrainian Army Col. Gen. Serhiy Popko Participates in an Army Full Honors Wreath-Laying Ceremony at
- February 21, 2019National Guard holds funeral honors training in New Orleans
- February 20, 2019Romanian Land Forces' military police complete Afghanistan tour with ASG-A
- February 20, 2019AAFES manager honored by ASG-A for support in Afghanistan
- February 15, 2019RM magazine Feb. 11 - 15
- February 15, 2019FORSCOM Frontline - Feb. 15, 2019
- February 15, 2019Out & About in Italy (Feb. 16-March 2)