By Sallie Cauthers (DeCA)August 26, 2016
FORT LEE, Va. -- Commissary shoppers will see various sales events throughout their store in September with Labor Day promotions, football fever events, Oktoberfest celebrations, case lot sales, and lots of coupons to help save even more money.
"September is a busy month for commissaries, and there are plenty of promotions available for our patrons to help them save money and maximize their benefit," said Tracie Russ, the Defense Commissary Agency director of sales.
Commissary shoppers can easily find out about the sales and promotions by going online at www.commissaries.com where they can also enter contests and win trips. The best places to check are the Sales & Events and the Exclusive Savings sections, while the case lot sale schedule is at the Customer Appreciation Case Lot Sale page.
These discounts result from DeCA's industry partners -- vendors, suppliers and brokers -- who collaborate with commissaries to offer discounts beyond everyday savings.
Overseas stores may have substitute events for certain promotional programs. Customers are asked to check their local commissary for details on dates and times for the following promotions:
• Customer Appreciation Case Lot Sales are continuing through September for stateside commissaries. Each store hosts individual two- or three-day case lot sales on one weekend between mid-August and the end of September. Commissaries in Alaska, Hawaii and Puerto Rico are also participating. This year's sales recognize DeCA's 25th birthday celebration. The agency was officially formed Oct. 1, 1991, consolidating the commissary systems of each of the military services. These sales provide commissary shoppers up to 50 percent savings on bulk buys of cereals, breakfast bars, chips, beverages, paper goods and other items. During these "parking lot" sales, commissaries also offer seasonal fresh produce on sale and provide high-value coupons for products inside the store. Look online, http://www.commissaries.com/stores/html/store.cfm?dodaac=Nb495f2d4aef0277a6a13171a5cacc17fd26566bb513dd7ef8b8019332c95a0e0c055d4869b4a7f4b99a665ac4cd42921aa7a9273cf997279056b430eec3f0378page=case_lot_dates, for the schedule of local case lot events.
• "It's Football Tailgating Time!" Starting Sept. 3, commissaries will offer game-day recipes, high-value coupon booklets for discounts on football favorites and will make it easy to shop with recipe items adjacent to the fresh meats featured in the recipes. Participating brands are Kraft, Heinz, Frito Lay, Entenmann's, Kellogg, Ball Park Franks, Johnsonville, Nabisco, DiGiorno and Tombstone. Mymilitarysavings.com will also feature promotional details to include Hot Deals, blogs, social media, e-newsletter blasts and more.
• For Better Breakfast Month, the Kellogg Company is offering $2 off coupons worldwide (Save $2 off coffee, milk, or fruit with the purchase of any two Special K products) from Sept. 1 to 11. These coupons will also be distributed in stores by industry representatives who will demonstrate healthy recipes.
• How's Your Team Spirit? Starting Sept. 3 through Jan. 3, 2017, patrons who purchase four Campbell's Chunky Soup or Chili canned items in one transaction, and present their Commissary Rewards Cards at checkout will be automatically entered to win a $100 NFL gift card. Four gift cards will be awarded each week (three in the U.S. and one overseas) for 17 weeks. Official rules will be available at https://deca.couponselectionpage.com/offers/all starting Sept. 3.
• Free Groceries for a Year is a Kraft Heinz promotion that will give away six prizes of $7,500 each in Commissary Gift Cards to winning commissary patrons. The online giveaway runs now through Sept. 11. Participating brands include Kraft Natural Cheese, Kraft Singles, Velveeta, Kraft Grated Parmesan, Cracker Barrel, Jell-O, Breakstone's, Knudsen, Kraft Dinners, Kraft Salad Dressings, Kraft BBQ Sauce, Oscar Mayer, Philadelphia Cream Cheese, Planters, Cool Whip and Kraft Mayo. No purchase is necessary. Participation is limited to stateside customers including those in Alaska and Hawaii commissaries. For details, go to http://www.mymilitarysavings.com/hot-deals/1305-kraft-heinz-free-groceries-for-a-year-sweepstakes.
• From Sept. 12-25, commissary shoppers who cannot attend Oktoberfest in Germany can find value savings on products for their own celebrations. Commissaries have a full line of German products from chocolates, cookies, sauerkraut, mustard and red cabbage, to rich German coffee and more.
• "Celebrate Family Values Sweepstakes." Commissary Rewards Card users worldwide have a chance to win one of 30 $250 Commissary Gift Cards in the "Celebrate Family Values Sweepstakes." Those who buy two Kimberly Clark products in one transaction from Sept. 15 to Oct. 23 and present their Commissary Rewards Cards at checkout, will be automatically entered to win. Details will be available Sept. 15 at https://deca.couponselectionpage.com/offers/all.
• Unilever is offering its annual "Italian & American Festival of Savings" from Sept. 26 to Oct. 9. This year's promotion features Unilever brands such as Hellman's, Lipton, Knorr and Breyers, as well as personal care brands such as Dove, St. Ives, Vaseline, Q-Tips and Tresemme. More than 150,000 high-value in-store coupon flyers will be distributed worldwide. Unilever will donate up to $20,000 to the Fisher House based on sales from this event.
• "Extra savings" signs will highlight discounts near mass displays throughout the commissaries: Sept. 1-25; General Mills will offer "Big G" cereal savings worldwide with coupons located adjacent to their displays; and beginning Sept. 19, the J.M. Smucker Company will offer the "Crisco Cares" deeply discounted savings from Pillsbury, Folgers, JIF and Martha White."
"Don't miss these hot fall savings," Russ said. "It's always worth the trip to your local commissary."